A Brief Guide to Secret Religions: A Complete Guide to Hermetic, Pagan and Esoteric Beliefs by David V. Barrett (Paperback, 2011)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $15.15Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by wordery
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $7.94+ AU $6.00 postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by worldofbooks-australia
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis wide-ranging book explores the diversity of esoteric and occult beliefs. Neo-Paganism is one of the fastest-growing new religions in the western world where witchcraft or Wicca, Druidry, and Urban Shamanism are thriving. Alongside this there has been an upsurge in New Age ideas of an even wider variety, including astrology, Tarot, numerology, and many others. And then there are members of various schools of occult science, practising High Magic. Why this new interest in old beliefs? Why are millions of educated people today abandoning both the established religion of their parents and 21st century scientific rationalism and turning to magic and esoteric teachings? In their search for spirituality those who follow these paths claim to be applying ancient wisdom to the modern world. The Brief History of Secret Religions, a companion book to The Brief History of Secret Societies, looks at the history and variety of these esoteric movements, where they came from and what they tell us about the world today. Praise for The New Believers: 'an excellent guide to fringe religions that juxtaposes respectable movements and those conventionally dismissed as cults.' The Telegraph. '-nsense, comprehensive survey packed with n-judgmental information about the beliefs, aims and activities of such movements. Daily Mail.
- Author BiographyDavid V Barrett has written numerous books on new religions and esoteric movements. His book The New Believers was described as an excellent guide to fringe religions that juxtaposes 'respectable' movements and those conventionally dismissed as cults (Daily Telegraph) and no-nonsense, comprehensive survey packed with non-judgemental information about the beliefs, aims and activities of such movements (Daily Mail). Michael Baigent wrote of A Brief History of Secret Societies : In a field normally typified by confusion and ignorance this book by David Barrett is clear, concise, informative and to be recommended. He has a PhD in the Sociology of Religion.
- Author(s)David V. Barrett
- PublisherLittle, Brown Book Group
- Date of Publication26/05/2011
- SubjectAlternative Belief Systems
- Series TitleBrief Histories
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintRobinson Publishing
- Weight332 g
- Width130 mm
- Height197 mm
- Spine26 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.05New
- AU $20.30New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $30.36New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $30.36
- AU $61.61Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.24Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $39.16Trending at AU $43.41
- AU $26.82Trending at AU $30.82
- AU $28.36Trending at AU $30.27
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.