All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $32.02Trending at AU $36.78
- AU $16.41Trending at AU $22.77
- AU $14.93Trending at AU $21.99
- AU $27.74Trending at AU $29.97
- AU $13.01Trending at AU $16.62
- AU $14.82Trending at AU $17.90
- AU $25.99Trending at AU $32.06
About this product
- DescriptionThe act of death itself and the rituals surrounding it vary ermously and shed a fascinating light on the cultures of which they are a part. In this brief and lively history, Douglas Davies -- internationally ackwledged as one of the leading experts in this field -- tackles some of the most significant aspects of death and weaves them into a compelling story about our changing attitudes to dying. * Offers a fascinating examination of this subject which is of enduring interest in every culture in the world * Considers the profound influence death has had on subjects ranging from philosophy to anthropology, through to art, literature, and music -- inspiring some of our most enduring artistic highpoints * Broaches some of the most significant aspects of death, such as the act of dying, grieving, burial, artistic interpretations of death, places of memory, the fear of death, and disasters/tragedies * Weaves these numerous approaches to death into a compelling story about our changing attitudes to dying * Contains several illustrations, and is written in an accessible and lively style.
- Author BiographyDouglas J. Davies is a Professor in the Department of Theology at Durham University. He is widely acknowledged as one of the worlda s leading experts in the history, theology and sociology of death. His books include: Anthropology and Theology (2002); Death, Ritual and Belief, Second edition (2001); Themes and Issues in Christianity (1998); Transforming Mormon Identities (1998); Reusing Old Graves (1995); and Church and Religion in Rural England (1991). He has also published a large number of articles on death, and contemporary Christianity.
- Author(s)Douglas Davies
- PublisherJohn Wiley and Sons Ltd
- Date of Publication11/11/2004
- SubjectReligion: Comparative, General & Reference
- Series TitleBlackwell Brief Histories of Religion
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBlackwell Publishing Ltd
- Content Note10
- Weight250 g
- Width144 mm
- Height215 mm
- Spine11 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.