Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $39.61Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by fishpondnewzealand
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $23.34+ AU $24.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWinner of the 2015 Man Booker Prize A recipient of the 2015 American Book Award One of the Top 10 Books of 2014 Michiko Kakutani, The New York TimesA New York Times Book Review Notable BookNamed a best book of the year by: The New York TimesChicago TribuneThe Washington PostThe Boston GlobeTimeNewsweekThe Huffington PostThe Seattle TimesThe Houston ChroniclePublishers WeeklyLibrary JournalPopsugarBookPageBuzzFeed BooksSalonKansas City StarL MagazineFrom the acclaimed author of The Book of Night Women comes a musical, electric, fantastically profane (The New York Times) epic that explores the tumultuous world of Jamaica over the past three decades. In A Brief History of Seven Killings, Marlon James combines brilliant storytelling with his unrivaled skills of characterization and meticulous eye for detail to forge an enthralling vel of dazzling ambition and scope. On December 3, 1976, just before the Jamaican general election and two days before Bob Marley was to play the Smile Jamaica Concert to ease political tensions in Kingston, seven gunmen stormed the singer s house, machine guns blazing. The attack wounded Marley, his wife, and his manager, and injured several others. Little was officially released about the gunmen, but much has been whispered, gossiped and sung about in the streets of West Kingston. Rumors abound regarding the assassins fates, and there are suspicions that the attack was politically motivated. A Brief History of Seven Killings delves deep into that dangerous and unstable time in Jamaica s history and beyond. James deftly chronicles the lives of a host of unforgettable characters gunmen, drug dealers, one-night stands, CIA agents, even ghosts over the course of thirty years as they roam the streets of 1970s Kingston, dominate the crack houses of 1980s New York, and ultimately reemerge into the radically altered Jamaica of the 1990s. Along the way, they learn that evil does indeed cast long shadows, that justice and retribution are inextricably linked, and that one can truly escape his fate. Gripping and inventive, shocking and irresistible, A Brief History of Seven Killings is a mesmerizing modern classic of power, mystery, and insight.
- Author BiographyMarlon Jameswas born in Jamaica in 1970. His most recent novel, A Brief History of Seven Killings, won the 2015 Man Booker Prize. It was also a finalist for the National Book Critics Circle Award and won the OCM Bocas Prize for Caribbean Literature for fiction, the Anisfield-Wolf Book Award for fiction, and the Minnesota Book Award. It was also a New York Times Notable Book. James is also the author of The Book of Night Women, which won the 2010 Dayton Literary Peace Prize and the Minnesota Book Award, and was a finalist for the 2010 National Book Critics Circle Award in fiction and an NAACP Image Award. His first novel, John Crow s Devil, was a finalist for theLos Angeles TimesBook Prize for first fiction and the Commonwealth Writers Prize and was aNew York TimesEditors Choice. James lives in Minneapolis.
- Author(s)Marlon James
- PublisherRiverhead Books
- Date of Publication02/10/2014
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRiverhead Books
- Weight998 g
- Width163 mm
- Height243 mm
- Spine36 mm
- Format DetailsSewn,Paper over boards,With dust jacket
Best-selling in Fiction Books
- AU $71.91New
- AU $28.84New
- AU $16.40New
- AU $12.81Used
- AU $79.40New
- AU $18.71New
- AU $113.12New
- AU $22.40New
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $26.95Trending at AU $31.18
- AU $26.33Trending at AU $28.84
- AU $76.69Trending at AU $79.40
- AU $10.68Trending at AU $18.71
- AU $10.54Trending at AU $14.54
- AU $17.03Trending at AU $19.94
- AU $79.86Trending at AU $82.45
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.