All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionOnce you find out your mother is an alien, what ISN'T possible?! That's what 12-year-old Anne and 10-year-old Atticus Reade want to kw. Minutes after learning that their mother is from the planet Farbookonia and that their parents' secret project has put them all in danger, the children are wrenched from their sheltered existence in the Midwest and whisked off to a safe sleep-away camp in New Jersey - each with a tiny, protective Globot on one shoulder. Painfully aware they're t like the others at camp, Anne and Atticus do their best to fit in while concealing their alien background and the special talents that go with it. But everything is so new to them, they have a hard time sorting reality from fiction. Quirky campers, campfire ghost stories, a bizarre camp director, Anne's mysterious dreams, and Atticus's unusual animal encounters are all equally disturbing. Just as they start getting the hang of life among young Earth humans, a broadcast on the Rec Hall TV shakes things up, and things that are truly strange emerge from rmal newness. It turns out Anne and Atticus - and their new friends - may t be safe at camp after all. A Brief Stay at Earth Human Camp thrusts them into a reality they wish was fiction.A sci-fi/fantasy with a little too much reality ... Is this book for me?A Brief Stay at Earth Human Camp is a sci-fi coming-of-age mystery adventure! Debut author Marie C. Collins places relatable characters with alien abilities in a realistic setting that grows increasingly omius as the story progresses. Her story is imaginative and fresh, and plays a subtle game of cat-and-mouse with readers' expectations. Reviewers compare her book with works by Roald Dahl, Rick Riordan, & J. K. Rowling. If you like stories that transform the ordinary into the extraordinary ... if you like characters that remind you of your friends ... if you like mysteries that keep you guessing until the final pages ... then this series-launching book is for you!A Brief Stay at Earth Human Camp will make you: laugh want a Globot wish there was a real Camp Wannabelikem long for international friends and foods turn page after page in suspense When you finish, you'll want to line up for book two, The Quest for Normal, due out at the end of 2015. To stay informed about the series, sign up for emails at http: //SecretsofFarbookonia.com and like the series Facebook page (https: //www.facebook.com/SecretsofFarbookonia).Approximately 110,000 words / 383 pp. print lengthA Kindle version of this book is available from Amazon.com.
- Author BiographyMarie C. Collins lives in Lambertville, New Jersey (USA), with her two dogs, George Eliot and Henry James, who - in spite of their snoring and a tendency to sniff horrifying things - are very good company (and in return, willingly endure Marie's insistence that they love being kissed on their snouts). Marie holds a bachelor's degree in English and Journalism from Douglas College at Rutgers University and a master's degree in English Literature from Temple University. She has held sundry jobs throughout her life, like caregiver, cook, waitress, newspaper reporter, and even a brief, misguided stint as a ballroom dance teacher. However, for most of her adult life she has written for hire, usually on topics related to education, as writing is the thing she likes to do best. Marie has a daughter she adores, Laurel Pellegrino, who is now a doctor in Seattle. Throughout Marie's life, she has at times felt like an alien - mostly because she was extremely shy and didn't react to things the way other people did. When she decided it was time to try to write a novel, she found herself wondering what it would be like to actually BE an alien - then it struck her that that might be a good place to start. But since she's also intrigued by the way cultures blend to make each of us feel a bit different, she decided her aliens should be half Earth human as well. Marie is currently writing the second book in her Secrets of Farbookonia series: The Quest for Normal.
- Author(s)Marie C Collins
- PublisherCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Date of Publication01/03/2015
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectChildren's Fiction
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight537 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine21 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Other Children & Young Adults
Save on Other Children & Young Adults
- AU $234.90Trending at AU $288.91
- AU $23.49Trending at AU $29.40
- AU $26.50Trending at AU $32.69
- AU $11.95Trending at AU $15.69
- AU $36.11Trending at AU $44.54
- AU $31.62Trending at AU $38.73
- AU $19.13Trending at AU $19.66
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.