All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSelected by the Modern Library as one of the 100 best nfiction books of all time In this magisterial book, a monument of history and biography that was awarded the National Book Award and the Pulitzer Prize for nfiction, rewned journalist Neil Sheehan tells the story of Lieutenant Colonel John Paul Vann the one irreplaceable American in Vietnam and of the tragedy that destroyed that country and the lives of so many Americans. Outspoken and fearless, John Paul Vann arrived in Vietnam in 1962, full of confidence in America's might and right to prevail. A Bright Shining Lie reveals the truth about the war in Vietnam as it unfolded before Vann's eyes: the arrogance and professional corruption of the U.S. military system of the 1960s, the incompetence and venality of the South Vietnamese army, the nightmare of death and destruction that began with the arrival of the American forces. Witnessing the arrogance and self-deception firsthand, Vann put his life and career on the line in an attempt to convince his superiors that the war should be fought ather way. But by the time he died in 1972, Vann had embraced the follies he once decried. He went to his grave believing that the war had been won. A haunting and critically acclaimed masterpiece, A Bright Shining Lie is a timeless account of the American experience in Vietnam a work that is epic in scope, piercing in detail, and told with the keen understanding of a journalist who was actually there.Neil Sheehan' s classic serves as a stunning revelation for all who thought they understood the war.
- Author BiographyNeil Sheehan is the author of A Fiery Peace in a Cold War. He spent three years in Vietnam as a war correspondent for United Press International and The New York Times and won numerous awards for his reporting. In 1971 he obtained the Pentagon Papers, which brought the Times the Pulitzer Prize Gold Medal for meritorious public service. Sheehan lives in Washington, D.C. He is married to the writer Susan Sheehan.
- Author(s)Neil Sheehan
- PublisherModern Library
- Date of Publication22/09/2009
- SubjectBiography: Historical, Political & Military
- Series TitleModern Library (Hardcover)
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintModern Library
- Content Notemaps, black & white plates
- Weight943 g
- Width153 mm
- Height209 mm
- Spine45 mm
- Format DetailsUnsewn / adhesive bound,Paper over boards,With dust jacket
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $60.91Trending at AU $62.69
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.05
- AU $34.30Trending at AU $36.57
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.90
- AU $50.09Trending at AU $52.96
- AU $35.29Trending at AU $36.57
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.74
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.