A Call from Egypt: A Jewish Woman's Search for Her Muslim Family by Joan Kadri Zald (Paperback / softback, 2013)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $25.38Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by fishpondnewzealand
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $22.95+ AU $7.99 postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn February 1975, Joan Kadri Zald received a phone call that propelled her on a five-year odyssey to reconcile the divisions within her broken family. A Jewish woman with an estranged Egyptian Muslim father, Zald faced a new urgency to come to peace with the opposing forces in her divergent Jewish and Muslim bloodlines. A Call from Egypt: A Jewish Woman's Search for Her Muslim family is her thought-provoking story of this singular journey and is certain to enthrall anyone who seeks insight into the process of transcending dysfunctional family patterns. During that momentous call, Zald learned that her father had recently died in Cairo and that his second wife was w destitute. This prompted the author to revisit childhood memories, letters and family accounts to understand the nature of her parents' relationship and how her father fit into her mother's extended Jewish family in New York City. Zald's quest, which culminated in her visit to the small, tradition-laden, rural Egyptian village of her father's childhood, enabled her to forge a new perspective on her father, his family, and herself. As questions of family, religion and nationality emerge through her search, A Call from Egypt offers a unique vantage of the rifts that form in many marriages and divide cultures around the world. With courage and candor, this poignant memoir is at once deeply personal and surprisingly universal in its exploration of the differences that alienate us from one ather and the ties that transcend them to connect us again.
- Author BiographyJoan Kadri Zald is a former clinical social worker who specialized in family therapy. In retirement, she is now pursuing second careers in photography and writing. Her two previously published books are Portraits of Homelessness, which documents the plight of homeless men and women with narratives and photographs, and Portraits of Creative Aging, a collection of stories and photographs of retired individuals engaged in creative and productive endeavors. She received a bachelor of arts degree and a master of social work degree from the University of Michigan. Originally from New York City, the author is a longtime resident of Ann Arbor, Michigan.
- Author(s)Joan Kadri Zald
- Date of Publication06/08/2013
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectBiography: General
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight231 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine9 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.04Trending at AU $36.60
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.92
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $32.21Trending at AU $40.49
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.21
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $40.07
- AU $34.16Trending at AU $35.13
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.