All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $43.72
- AU $70.98Trending at AU $87.50
- AU $62.89Trending at AU $77.17
- AU $78.98Trending at AU $85.01
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.03
- AU $34.79Trending at AU $42.43
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $24.76
About this product
- DescriptionA peasant in peaked hat and blue shirt, with trousers rolled up high above his bare knees, crossed the road and silently examined the tricycle. You have a good horse, he then said; it eats thing. -from An Italian Pilgrimage The 1880s was an exhilarating time for cycling pioneers like Elizabeth and her husband Joseph. As boneshakers and high-wheelers evolved into tandem tricycles and the safety bike, cycling grew from child's play and extreme sport into a leisurely and, importantly, literary mode of transportation. The illustrated travel memoirs of those Pennells were-and still are-highly entertaining. They helped usher in the new age of leisure touring, while playfully hearkening back to famous literary journeys. In this new edition, Dave Buchanan provides rich cultural contexts surrounding the Pennells' first two adventures. These long out-of-print travel memoirs will delight avid cyclists as well as scholars of travel literature, cycling history, women's writing, Victorian literature, and illustration.
- Author BiographyElizabeth Robins Pennell (1855-1936) and Joseph Pennell (1857-1926), a married couple from Philadelphia, collaborated on numerous books as writer and illustrator. Dave Buchanan teaches in the English Department at MacEwan University in Edmonton. His current research explores the first generation of cycle-travel literature from the 1880s and 1890s. He blogs about the semi-serious cycling life at dustymusette.blogspot.ca.
- Author(s)Elizabeth Robins Pennell,Joseph Pennell
- PublisherUniversity of Alberta Press
- Date of Publication15/11/2015
- LanguageEnglish & English
- SubjectTravel Writing
- Series TitleWayfarer
- Place of PublicationAlberta
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintUniversity of Alberta Press (CA)
- Content Note69
- Weight300 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine12 mm
- Edited byDave Buchanan
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.