All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA Career of Japan is the first study of one of the major photographers and personalities of nineteenth-century Japan. Baron Raimund von Stillfried was the most important foreign-born photographer of the Meiji era and one of the first globally active photographers of his generation. Based on extensive new primary sources and unpublished documents from archives around the world, this book examines von Stillfried's significance as a cultural mediator between Japan and Central Europe.
- Author BiographyLuke Gartlan (PhD 2004) is a lecturer at the School of Art History, University of St Andrews. He is the editor of the peer-reviewed international quarterly History of Photography, and co-editor, with Ali Behdad, of Photography's Orientalism: New Essays on Colonial Representation (Getty Research Institute, 2013). His research concerns photography and cultural exchange in the nineteenth century, especially with reference to the camera's role in colonial-era visual culture, histories of travel and exploration, and non-Western responses to photography.
- Author(s)Luke Gartlan
- Date of Publication01/12/2015
- Series TitlePhotography in Asia
- Series Part/Volume Number1
- Place of PublicationLeiden
- Country of PublicationNetherlands
- Weight1431 g
- Width198 mm
- Height257 mm
- Spine28 mm
- Format DetailsWith dust jacket
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.05
- AU $34.65Trending at AU $36.57
- AU $73.10Trending at AU $74.75
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.90
- AU $28.76Trending at AU $38.99
- AU $23.89Trending at AU $33.32
- AU $50.09Trending at AU $52.96
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.