All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.98
- AU $7.99Trending at AU $8.27
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.89
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.37
- AU $66.30Trending at AU $75.12
- AU $31.51Trending at AU $37.08
- AU $25.48Trending at AU $28.39
About this product
- DescriptionFrom the Edwardian golden age of steam to the present, the railway has captured the hearts and imaginations of the British people like other mode of travel. In wartime and peace, along major routes and mir, steam, diesel and electric trains have carried commuters to work, families to holiday destinations and provided the means to myriad other adventures - the train a constant presence in an ever-changing way of life. A Century of Railway Travel presents one hundred years of the British passenger's story, using striking full-page imagery with commentary from bestselling author Paul Atterbury. From the open platforms of provincial stations before the First World War to the modern throngs at Waterloo on Derby Day, and from compartments that separated rich from poor and male from female, to the rise to dominance of modern standard class, this book depicts the rich tapestry of progress and heritage that has been the last century of British train travel. The coloured card ticket in your hand, the rough feel of the upholstered seats, and the call of the whistle, the scenery begins to move across the carriage windows of one of Britain's great steam-trains: with full-page illustrations and text alive with insight and stalgia, this is a passenger's history of train travel in the last century.
- Author BiographyPaul Atterbury is the author of numerous books on railway topics including Branch Line Britain and Along Lost Lines and has appeared regularly as an expert on the BBC's Antiques Roadshow.
- Author(s)Paul Atterbury
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication28/02/2014
- SubjectTrains & Railways: General Interest
- Series TitleCentury of
- Series Part/Volume Number3
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintShire Publications Ltd
- Content Note40 b/w; 20 col
- Weight245 g
- Width140 mm
- Height140 mm
- Spine15 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.