Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $43.48
- AU $70.98Trending at AU $87.00
- AU $62.89Trending at AU $76.73
- AU $78.98Trending at AU $84.53
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $78.58
- AU $34.79Trending at AU $42.19
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $24.62
About this product
- DescriptionThis substantial and largely unkwn Persian chronicle of the reign of Shah 'Abbas I (1587-1629) exists in a unique manuscript, recently discovered in the Library of Christ's College, Cambridge. Its author, Fazl-Allah Khuzani Isfahani, member of an important bureaucratic family, provides an insider's account of this crucial period in Persian history, with a wealth of detail about the central and provincial administration and much information t found in other sources. Shortly after the succession of Shah Safi I, Fazl-Allah left for India, where he continued to work on his chronicle. So far, three volumes of the Afzal al-tawarikh have come to light, covering the reigns of Shah Isma'il, Shah Tahmasp and Shah 'Abbas; ne of them is complete and each exists only in a sole copy. Volume 3 on Shah'Abbas is a composite work, containing many of the author's handwritten corrections and marginalia, making it a fascinating example of the composition of a work in progress. The complete text of 579 folios has been edited by Kioumars Ghereghlou (Columbia University); the publication is accompanied by detailed indexes and a substantial introduction by Kioumars Ghereghlou and Charles Melville (University of Cambridge) on the life and career of Fazl-Allah, the significance of his work and the manuscripts on which it is based. Two-volume set.
- Author BiographyCharles Melville is a Lecturer in Islamic Studies at the Faculty of Oriental Studies, University of Cambridge, and Fellow of Pembroke College. He is also the acting Director of the Centre of Middle Eastern and Islamic Studies at the University of Cambridge. He is the author of numerous articles on the history and historiography of Mongol and Safavid Iran, editor of Safavid Persia: The History and Politics of an Islamic Society (1996), and co-editor of the Cambridge History of Iran, volume VII, From the Hadir Shah to the Islamic Republic (1991).
- Author(s)Charles Melville,Fazli Beg Khuzani Isfahani,Kioumars Ghereghlou
- PublisherGibb Memorial Trust
- Date of Publication01/12/2004
- SubjectAncient History
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintGibb Memorial Trust
- Width170 mm
- Height242 mm
- Contained items statementContains 4 CD-ROMs and Book
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.