All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA Communication Perspective on the Military brings into focus the challenge of sense-making in the war state. How do military family members talk to one ather about the stress of deployment on their lives? How do media - old and new - render the costs of war meaningful? How is the narrative of war rhetorically constructed? The dynamics of military family transactions, media-military relations, and war rhetoric reveal, reinforce, and may even disrupt US war culture. Offering close analysis and thoughtful critique, this book reflects upon the ways the meaning of war is communicated in private lives, social relations, and public affairs. The collection highlights three broad areas of concern: communication in the military family; the military in the media; and rhetoric surrounding the military. Katheryn Maguire, Roger Stahl, and Gordon Mitchell introduce each section with overarching and integrative literature reviews that offer directions for the field. Each section includes six chapters reporting the latest research and offering suggestions for practical applications. The book is a must-have reference for military and communication scholars and an ideal text for graduate seminars and upper division undergraduate courses focusing on communication and the military.
- Author BiographyErin Sahlstein Parcell (PhD., The University of Iowa) is Associate Professor of Communication at the University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee. She is the author of over thirty chapters and articles. Her work has appeared in journals such as Communication Monographs, Journal of Social and Personal Relationships, Journal of Applied Communication Research, Western Journal of Communication, and Journal of Health Communication. Lynne M. Webb (PhD, University of Oregon) is Professor of Communication at Florida International University. She is the author of over seventy essays and two previously published edited volumes. Her work has appeared in the Journal of Applied Communication Research, Communication Education, Health Communication, and the Journal of Family Communication. She is a past president of the Southern States Communication Association.
- PublisherPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Date of Publication22/06/2015
- SubjectUsage & Writing Guides
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published2015
- ImprintPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Weight750 g
- Width155 mm
- Height230 mm
- Spine28 mm
- Edited byErin Sahlstein Parcell,Lynne M. Webb
- Edition StatementNew edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $126.09New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.71New
- AU $93.44Used
- AU $101.53New
- AU $78.95New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.05
- AU $87.90Trending at AU $89.13
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.49
- AU $38.81Trending at AU $50.27
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $74.17
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.86
- AU $21.17Trending at AU $23.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.