All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe legendary author s passionate and icoclastic writings on issues of faith, immortality, freedom, violence, and morality--reflect his intellectual search for truth and a religion firmly grounded in reality.However, despite his success with works like War and Peace and Anna Karenina, Leo Tolstoy, at age 51, looked back on his life and considered himself a failure. A Confession provides valuable insight into Tolstoy s thoughts and ideas as his later philosophical ideas began to evolve and change.
- Author BiographyCount Leo Tolstoy was born on September 9, 1828, in Yasnaya Polyana, Russia. Orphaned at nine, he was brought up by an elderly aunt and educated by French tutors until he matriculated at Kazan University in 1844. In 1847, he gave up his studies and, after several aimless years, volunteered for military duty in the army, serving as a junior officer in the Crimean War before retiring in 1857. In 1862, Tolstoy married Sophie Behrs, a marriage that was to become, for him, bitterly unhappy. His diary, started in 1847, was used for self-study and self-criticism; it served as the source from which he drew much of the material that appeared not only in his great novels War and Peace (1869) and Anna Karenina (1877), but also in his shorter works. Seeking religious justification for his life, Tolstoy evolved a new Christianity based upon his own interpretation of the Gospels. Yasnaya Polyana became a mecca for his many converts At the age of eighty-two, while away from home, the writer suffered a break down in his health in Astapovo, Riazan, and he died there on November 20, 1910.
- Author(s)Leo Tolstoy
- PublisherPenguin Books
- Date of Publication01/10/2009
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectHistory of Ideas & Popular Philosophy
- Series TitlePenguin Books: Great Ideas
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPenguin Books
- Weight77 g
- Width115 mm
- Height181 mm
- Spine7 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $34.69Trending at AU $36.60
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.92
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.49
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.21
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $40.07
- AU $34.17Trending at AU $35.13
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $27.01
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.