All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWithin the context of the Lutheran Church in Nigeria, Gongola Diocese, this book examines the issues of the interpretation, transmission, and appropriation of the doctrine of justification by faith alone. Using contextualization as the main tool in this exploration, James J. Reylds argues that intercultural communication holds the key to unlocking how effectively and appropriately these three engagements with theology are executed. The Lutheran church, and indeed most Protestant deminations, assert that justification by faith alone is the cardinal doctrine of Christianity. Scholars, however, are concerned that there is a great level of igrance among members and misappropriation of justification by faith alone in the lives of members of these deminations. To investigate these underlying factors, three theories are used as a framework with which to test the church's interpretation of this doctrine: gospel and culture in dialogue, translatability, and contextual theological education programmes for the training of both clergy and laity. In order to initiate this process, the gospel and culture must engage in dialogue through a viable and contextual theological education programme for the training of both clergy and the laity. The Lunguda practice of ntsandah provides an ideal entry point for a proper informed interpretation of justification by faith alone. Ultimately, the author argues that the employment of intercultural communication in transmitting the message of justification by faith alone will be successful in helping address this problem.
- Author BiographyJames J. Reynolds received his PhD from the University of KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa, and is a senior lecturer at the Theological College of Northern Nigeria (TCCN) Bukuru. His many accomplishments include an earned Diploma in Theology at the Bronnum Lutheran Seminary, Mbamba, an internship to teach at the Lutheran Church of Christ in Nigeria Bible School Purokayo, and an ordination by the Lutheran Church of Christ in Nigeria. After serving for three years, Dr. Reynolds gained admission into TCNN Bukuru, graduating with a Bachelors of Divinity and a Masters of Theology in Systematic Theology.
- Author(s)James J. Reynolds
- PublisherPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Date of Publication13/02/2015
- SubjectReligion: Comparative, General & Reference
- Series TitleBible and Theology in Africa
- Series Part/Volume Number21
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published2015
- ImprintPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Weight420 g
- Width155 mm
- Height230 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Edition Statement1st New edition
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.05Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $36.00
- AU $32.22Trending at AU $40.58
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.26
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $40.16
- AU $34.16Trending at AU $35.20
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $27.06
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.