All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis is a collection of short stories, poems and a vella dealing with the strife of ordinary people spanning different cultures in diverse lands like Korea, Vietnam, Uganda, Ukraine, Bosnia, India and the United States. How adversity affects people and brings on an acceptance of what life offers, a virtue called human resilience. The characters move through war events, personal tragedy and cultural handcuffs in different stories...like a child in India whose birthday plans are interrupted by the bombing of Hiroshima; young men in war zones like Iraq and Vietnam thinking of their loved ones; youth longing to get away to foreign lands. Tradition and old age bring on different challenges to the men and women in these tales. The stories are written in a simple voice, authentic to the characters. These people will dwell on your psyche long after you have finished the book. The different scenarios in various lands are thought-provoking. Some light hearted moments of poetry bring relief to the serious mind. Included is a poem by the author's granddaughter, Kaveri Sheth, then eleven years of age. It leaves one with a pleasant musical interlude bringing harmony to the relentless active mind.
- Author BiographyNeela K. Sukhatme-Sheth is a retired pathologist who grew up in India and has lived in England, Canada and the United States for over forty five years. She has published several essays and short stories, and received awards in various contests, such as the B.B.C Short story contest, Wisconsin Regional Writer's Jade Ring contest and the Milwaukee Journal's Wordsmith contest, wherein James Mitchener, the judge, called her work, Deceptively simple, sure in the hands of its teller. Neela blends her East-West experiences with fluidity, and having worked at a Veteran's Administration Hospital, writes about human fraility, the cruelty of war, and human resilience. Neela and her husband travel extensively and enjoy watercolor painting, and spend their time between Florida and Wisconsin. This is her first short story collection.
- Author(s)Neela K Sukhatme-Sheth
- Date of Publication13/07/2010
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectShort Stories & Fiction Anthologies
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight336 g
- Width133 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $12.00Trending at AU $16.78
- AU $62.20Trending at AU $75.03
- AU $19.77Trending at AU $20.54
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $31.08
- AU $47.08Trending at AU $49.55
- AU $21.78Trending at AU $22.68
- AU $22.15Trending at AU $23.02
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.