Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.73
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.43
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.73Trending at AU $42.75
About this product
- DescriptionA Choice Outstanding Academic Title, 2008 A Cultural History of Animals is a multi-volume project on the history of human-animal relations from ancient times to the present. The set of six volumes covers 4500 years of human-animal interaction. Volume 1: Antiquity to the Dark Ages (2500BC-1000AD) Volume 2: The Medieval Age (1000-1400) Volume 3: The Renaissance (1400-1600) Volume 4: The Enlightenment (1600-1800) Volume 5: The Age of Empire (1800-1920) Volume 6: The Modern Age (1920-2000, including a discussion of animals in the future) As the same issues are central to animal-human relations throughout history, each volume shares the same structure, with chapters in each volume analysing the same issues and themes. In this way each volume can be read individually to cover a specific period and individual chapters can be read across volumes to follow a theme across history. Each volume explores: the sacred and the symbolic (totem, sacrifice, status and popular beliefs); hunting; domestication (taming, breeding, labour and companionship); entertainment and exhibitions (the menagerie, zoos, circuses and carnivals); science and specimens (research, education, collections and museums); philosophical beliefs; and artistic representations. The full six volume set combines to present the most authoritative and comprehensive survey available on animals through history.
- Author BiographyLinda Kalof is Professor of Sociology at Michigan State University. Brigitte Resl is Professor of Medieval History at the University of Liverpool.
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication01/02/2011
- FormatMultiple copy pack
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Series TitleThe Cultural Histories
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBerg Publishers
- Content Note282 bw illus.
- Weight3088 g
- Width172 mm
- Height244 mm
- Spine71 mm
- Volume editorBrigitte Resl,Linda Kalof
- Contained items statementContains 6 Paperbacks
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.