All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA Choice Outstanding Academic Title, 2008 Human culture is w more dangerous to n-human animals than ever before. The destruction of natural habitats and the killing of animals for food, science, medicine or trophy - sometimes to the point of extinction - is the stuff of newspaper headlines. We live in a time when the idea of an animal's habitat has almost become irrelevant, except as a historical curiosity, yet also in a time when the public and philosophical ackwledgement of animal rights and environmental ethics is on the rise. Animals are enmeshed in human culture simply because people are so interested in them. Animals remain central to our sense of the natural world. Our pets are often seen as our closest companions through life. At the same time, the last century has seen the use of animals in scientific experimentation and major changes in industrial-scale animal farming. Never has the relationship between human and n-human animals been more hotly contested. As with all the volumes in the illustrated Cultural History of Animals, this volume presents an overview of the period and continues with essays on the position of animals in contemporary symbolism, hunting, domestication, sports and entertainment, science, philosophy, and art. Volume 6 in the Cultural History of Animals edited by Linda Kalof and Brigitte Resl.
- Author BiographyRandy Malamud is Professor of English at Georgia State University, and author of Reading Zoos: Representations of Animals and Captivity and Poetic Animals and Animal Souls.
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication01/02/2011
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Series TitleThe Cultural Histories
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBerg Publishers
- Content Note48 bw illus.
- Weight507 g
- Width172 mm
- Height244 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Edited byRandy Malamud
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $189.94New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.27New
- AU $93.07Used
- AU $93.07New
- AU $101.13New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $73.88New
- AU $61.04Used
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $81.72
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.18
- AU $39.00Trending at AU $50.07
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $73.88
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.43
- AU $21.33Trending at AU $23.52
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.