All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionErnest De Regge was a major influence in the development of Church Music in the Diocese of Killaloe (1923-1958). He was an accomplished musician, organist and composer and much of his music was performed by the choir and broadcast on RTE. Under the auspices of An tOireachtas, he arranged Irish melodies for school choirs and received many national and international awards for his work. Ernest De Regge, was born in Overmere, Flanders. In 1922 he received the degree of Licentiate in Music from the prestigious Lemmens Music Conservatory in Malines, claiming first place in composition, while his classmate, the world famous Flor Peeters, took the prize for organ. From 1900, Lemmens sent its organists and other musicians to Ireland where there were well-maintained organs and musical people, but facilities for formal training. In 1923, Bishop Fogarty appointed De Regge as Music Professor at St. Flannan's College and organist-choirmaster in the Cathedral of SS Peter and Paul. The bishop's aim was to implement the instruction of Pope Pius X to simplify choir music. In St. Flannan's (a junior seminary), the young graduate would be instructing future clergy of the Diocese in musical literacy and giving them a firm grounding in Gregorian Chant. In the early 1930's, the new Irish Republic was anxious to acquire and publish new Irish music through An Gum (the State publishing company). De Regge composed almost 300 works for choirs of mixed voices, songs based upon English and Irish texts, masses, motets, pia and organ pieces. Because the career of this prolific and talented musician was cut short and his promise t fully realized, this story, as reported by his eldest daughter, aims to capture something of the man and times.
- Author BiographyGhislaine De Regge was born in Ashline House, Ennis, Ireland, the eldest of Ernest and Helene De Regge's six children. Ghislaine was educated in Ireland, Belgium and the US. For years, she has been researching for this book, methodically cataloguing her father's music, family photographs, and the fascinating stories of his students, choir members, friends and colleagues. Ghislaine lives in Austin, Texas; enjoys time with her children, Fiona and Karel; travels to Belgium to stay with her sisters, and to Ireland to see her brother in Cork and old friends in Clare.
- Author(s)Ghislaine De Regge
- PublisherCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Date of Publication28/04/2013
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectBiography: General
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight304 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine12 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.22
- AU $29.85Trending at AU $30.26
- AU $18.30Trending at AU $24.34
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.54
- AU $22.32Trending at AU $36.99
- AU $40.77Trending at AU $41.34
- AU $16.90Trending at AU $20.15
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.