All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionOne of the greatest travellers in Scotland, Martin Martin was also a native Gaelic speaker. This text offers his narrative of his journey around the Western Isles, and a mine of information on custom, tradition and life. Martin Martin's wrote before the Jacobite rebellions changed the way of life of the Highlander irrevocably. The volume includes the earliest account of St Kilda, first published in 1697 and Sir Donald Monro, High Dean of the Isles, account written in 1549 which presents a record of a pastoral visit to islands still coping with the aftermath of the fall of the Lords of the Isles.
- Author BiographyMartin Martin (Martainn MacGilleMhartainn) was born at Bealach, near Duntulm, Skye, and was a native Gaelic speaker. He studied at the universities of Edinburgh and Leiden, and died in London in 1719.
- Author(s)Donald Monro,Martin Martin
- PublisherBirlinn General
- Date of Publication17/08/1999
- SubjectTravel Writing
- Place of PublicationEdinburgh
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBirlinn Ltd
- Content Notemaps
- Weight354 g
- Width108 mm
- Height178 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Edited byJean Munro
- Introduction byCharles W. J. Withers,R.W. Munro
- Format DetailsA-format paperback
- Edition StatementNew ed of 1703 ed
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $24.58Trending at AU $39.15
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $87.66
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $73.54
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.32
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.16
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.17
- AU $34.72Trending at AU $42.51
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.