All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionTitles in the Dictionaries for the Modern Musician series offer both the vice and the advanced artist key information designed to convey the field of study and performance for a major instrument or instrument class, as well as the workings of musicians in areas from conducting to composing. Each dictionary covers topics from instrument parts to technique, major works to key figures-a must-have for any musician's personal library! A Dictionary for the Modern Singer is an indispensable guide for students of singing, voice pedagogues, and lovers of the art of singing. In addition to classical singing, genres, and styles, musical theatre and popular and global styles are addressed. With an emphasis on contemporary practice, this work includes terms and figures that influenced modern singing styles. Topics include voice pedagogy, voice science, vocal health, styles, genres, performers, diction, and other relevant topics. The dictionary will help students to more fully understand the concepts articulated by their teachers. Matthew Hoch's book fills a gap in the singer's library as the only one-volume general reference geared toward today's student of singing. An extensive bibliography is invaluable for students seeking to explore a particular subject in greater depth. Illustrations and charts further illuminate particular concepts, while appendixes address stage fright, tips on practicing, repertoire selection, audio techlogy, and contemporary commercial music styles. A Dictionary for the Modern Singer will appeal to students of singing at all levels. For professionals, it will serve as a quick and handy reference guide, useful in the high school or college library and the home teaching studio alike; students and amateurs will find it accessible and full of fascinating information about the world of the singing.
- Author BiographyMatthew Hoch is associate professor of voice and coordinator of voice studies at Auburn University. He is the author of several books, including Welcome to Church Music & The Hymnal 1982 (2015) and Voice Secrets (2016). He holds a BM from Ithaca College, MM from the Hartt School, and DMA from the New England Conservatory. Dr. Hoch is the 2016 winner of the Van Lawrence Fellowship, awarded jointly by the Voice Foundation and NATS. He actively performs art song, opera, chamber music and in professional choral settings.
- Author(s)Matthew Hoch
- PublisherScarecrow Press
- Date of Publication28/04/2014
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Series TitleDictionary for the Modern Musician
- Place of PublicationLanham, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintScarecrow Press
- Content Note14 black & white illustrations, 70 black & white halftones, 3 tables
- Weight1121 g
- Width223 mm
- Height285 mm
- Spine24 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $99.00Trending at AU $100.37
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $75.94
- AU $85.90Trending at AU $91.12
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $84.02
- AU $95.88Trending at AU $100.60
- AU $64.69Trending at AU $68.88
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $107.45
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.