About this product
- DescriptionTitles in Dictionaries for the Modern Musician series offer both the vice and the advanced artist key information designed to convey the field of study and performance for a major instrument or instrument class, as well as the workings of musicians in areas from conducting to composing. Unlike other encyclopedic works, contributions to this series focus primarily on the kwledge required by the contemporary musical student or performer. Each dictionary covers topics from instrument parts to playing technique and major works to key figures. A must-have for any musician's personal library! Trumpeters today perform a vast repertoire of musical material spanning 500 years, much of it in a variety of styles and even on a number of related instruments. In A Dictionary for the Modern Trumpet Player, scholar and performer, Elisa Koehler has created a key reference work that addresses all of the instruments in the high brass family, providing ready answers to issues that trumpeters, conductors, and musicians commonly-and sometimes t so commonly-encounter. Drawing on a broad range of scholarly sources, A Dictionary for the Modern Trumpet Player includes entries on historic instruments like the cornetto, keyed bugle, and slide trumpet; jazz trumpet techniques; mutes and accessories; and ancient ancestors of the trumpet and related n-Western instruments. In addition to its concise and detailed definitions, this work includes biographies of prominent performers, teachers, instrument makers, and composers of trumpet solo and ensemble literature often omitted from other musical references. Carefully labeled illustrations illuminate the inner workings of various valve mechanisms, allowing readers to visualize the more technical points of high brass instruments. Appendixes include a time line of trumpet history, a survey of valve mechanisms, a list of prominent excerpts from the orchestral and operatic repertoire, and an extensive bibliography. From quick definitions of confusing terms in a musical score to an in-depth overview of trumpet history, A Dictionary for the Modern Trumpet Player is an ideal reference for students, professionals, and music lovers.
- Author BiographyElisa Koehler is an associate professor at Goucher College in Towson, Maryland. She was the music director and conductor of the Frederick Symphony Orchestra for seventeen years. She has performed on trumpets both old and new with groups as diverse as the Baltimore Chamber Orchestra, Knoxville Symphony, Handel Choir of Baltimore, Orchestra of the 17th Century, Washington Cornett and Sackbut Ensemble, and Newberry's Victorian Cornet Band. Koehler is also the author of Fanfares & Finesse: A Performer's Guide to Trumpet History and Literature (2014) and a member of the editorial staff of the International Trumpet Guild Journal.
- Author(s)Elisa Koehler
- PublisherRowman & Littlefield
- Date of Publication16/02/2015
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Series TitleDictionaries for the Modern Musician
- Place of PublicationLanham, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRowman & Littlefield Publishers
- Content Note11 black & white illustrations, 52 black & white halftones, 3 tables
- Weight880 g
- Width222 mm
- Height284 mm
- Spine21 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $85.90Trending at AU $90.74
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $83.67
- AU $95.88Trending at AU $100.17
- AU $64.63Trending at AU $68.59
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $106.99
- AU $99.90Trending at AU $101.25
- AU $95.00Trending at AU $98.79
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.