A Different Democracy: American Government in a 31-Country Perspective by Matthew Soberg Shugart, Steven L. Taylor, Arend Lijphart, Bernard Grofman (Paperback, 2015)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $33.28Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by buyitnowbooksoz2010
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $32.44+ AU $24.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAmerican democracy differs greatly from other democracies around the world. But is the American way more or less efficacious than comparable democracies in Asia, Latin America, or Europe? What if the United States had a prime minister instead of (or in addition to) a president, or if it had three or more parties in Congress instead of two? Would there be more partisan animosity and legislative gridlock or less? These are the kinds of questions that thinking about U.S. government in comparative perspective helps us to analyze. This valuable contribution to political studies takes a unique approach to a much-studied subject, looking at the U.S. government from a comparative point of view. Four distinguished scholars in the field examine the Constitution, the two-party system, the division of power between state and federal governments, and other major features of the American political system in terms of how they differ from other democracies, and they explore what those differences ultimately mean for democratic performance. By merging two important fields of study, American government and comparative political systems, this essential text offers a new and refreshingly insightful view of American exceptionalism.
- Author BiographySteven L. Taylor is professor and chair of political science, Troy University. Matthew S. Shugart is professor of political science, University of California, Davis. Arend Lijphart is research professor emeritus of political science, University of California, San Diego. Bernard Grofman is professor of political science, University of California, Irvine.
- Author(s)Arend Lijphart,Bernard Grofman,Matthew Soberg Shugart,Steven L. Taylor
- PublisherYale University Press
- Date of Publication06/01/2015
- SubjectPolitics & Government: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationNew Haven
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintYale University Press
- Content Note17 b/w illus.
- Weight535 g
- Width156 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best Selling in Non-Fiction Books
The 8-Week Blood Sugar Diet: Lose Weight Fast and Reprogramme Your Body for Life by Michael Mosley (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $19.13New
- AU $7.82Used
- AU $21.30New
Women Who Run with Wolves: Myths and Stories of the Wild Woman Archetype by Clarissa Pinkola Estes (Paperback, 1996)
- AU $13.87New
- AU $6.50Used
- AU $31.93New
- AU $20.05New
- AU $24.96New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $29.75Trending at AU $30.05
- AU $39.99Trending at AU $43.83
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $50.54
- AU $19.74Trending at AU $30.05
- AU $58.25Trending at AU $62.59
- AU $62.84Trending at AU $78.53
- AU $35.08Trending at AU $38.54
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.