All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $72.55Trending at AU $75.17
- AU $32.60Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $25.61
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.78
- AU $12.94Trending at AU $16.54
- AU $26.68Trending at AU $29.53
- AU $19.92Trending at AU $27.62
About this product
- DescriptionThe Parliament of World's Religions met in Chicago in 1993 to commemorate the centennial of the World Parliament of Religions in 1893. One of the organizing themes of this conference, attended by around 10,000 delegates, was religious pluralism the focus of this volume. Here, then, is a collection of essays from a conference that meets t every year or even every ten years but once in a century. All the of contributors to the volume are well-established scholars who are kwn for their expertise in world religions: Julia Ching, R. Panikkar, Harvey Cox, Arvind Sharma, Seyyed Hossein Nasr, Masao Abe, Clara Sue Kidwell, Samuel Ruiz, Paul F. Knitter, Donald W. Mitchell, Jeffrey Carlson, and Robert J. Schreiter. While many books on religious pluralism focus on the plurality of religious presences in North America, this volume employs the term religious pluralism to include the plurality of perspectives present within religious traditions as well. It thus understands the term both in an internal and external sense. In addition, it extends the discussion of religious pluralism beyond North America to other theaters of the world, to Asia and Latin America. CONTENTS 1. Living in Two Worlds: A Personal Appraisal 2. Religious Identity and Pluralism 3. Our Religions in a Religiously Plural World 4. Civilizing the Choctaws: Cultural Expectations and Realities 5. Religious Conflict and Christianity 6. Religion and Globality: Can Interreligious Dialogue be Globally Responsible? 7. Two Types of Unity and Religious Pluralism 8. Religion and Globality 9. A Call to Action Arvind Sharma is Professor of Comparative Religion at McGill University in Montreal. Kathleen Dugan is Professor of Religious Studies at the University of San Diego.
- Author BiographyArvind Sharma is Birks Professor of Comparative Religion at McGill University, Canada. Kathleen Dugan is Professor of Religious Studies at the University of San Diego
- Author(s)Arvind Sharma,Kathleen Margaret Dugan
- PublisherContinuum International Publishing Group Ltd.
- Date of Publication01/06/1999
- SubjectReligion: Comparative, General & Reference
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintContinuum International Publishing Group - Trinity
- Out-of-print date02/05/2008
- Weight295 g
- Width133 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine14 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.