All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionNEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER In this mesmerizing vel, Ethan Canin, theauthor of America America and The Palace Thief, explores the nature of genius, rivalry, ambition, and love among multiple generations of a gifted family. Milo Andret is born with an unusual mind. A lonely child growing up in the woods of rthern Michigan in the 1950s, he gives little thought to his own talent. But with his acceptance at U.C. Berkeley he realizes the extent, and the risks, of his singular gifts. California in the seventies is a seduction, opening Milo s eyes to the allure of both ambition and indulgence. The research he begins there will make him a legend; the woman he meets there and the rival he meets alongside her will haunt him for the rest of his life. For Milo s brilliance is entwined with a dark need that soon grows to threaten his work, his family, even his existence. Spanning seven decades as it moves from California to Princeton to the Midwest to New York, A Doubter s Almanac tells the story of a family as it explores the way ambition lives alongside destructiveness, obsession alongside torment, love alongside grief. It is a story of how the flame of genius both lights and scorches every generation it touches. Graced by stunning prose and brilliant storytelling, A Doubter s Almanac is a surprising, suspenseful, and deeply moving vel, a major work by a writer who has been hailed as the most mature and accomplished velist of his generation. Praise for A Doubter s Almanac 551 pages of bliss . . . devastating and wonderful . . . dazzling . . . You come away from the book wanting to reevaluate your choices and your relationships. It s a rare book that can do that, and it s a rare joy to discover such a book. Esquire [Canin] is at the top of his form, fluent, immersive, confident. You might t kw where he s taking you, but the characters are so vivid, Hans s voice rendered so precisely, that it s impossible t to trust in the story. . . . The delicate networks of emotion and connection that make up a family are illuminated, as if by magic, via his prose. Slate Alternately explosive and deeply interior. New York ( Eight Books You Need to Read ) A blazingly intelligent vel. Los Angeles Times [A] beautifully written vel. The New York Times Book Review (Editors Choice) A book that raises the bar for velists. Literary Hub No kwledge of proofs or theorems is required to enjoy Ethan Canin s excellent eighth vel. He alternately treats math like elegant poetry or infuses it with crackling energy. The Christian Science Monitor Math made beautiful . . . Canin writes with such luxuriant beauty and tender sympathy that even victims of Algebra II will follow his calculations of the heart with rapt comprehension. The Washington Post A masterful writer at his transcendent best. BBC Elegant and devastating . . . A Doubter s Almanac is exquisitely crafted. Canin takes us readers deep into the strange world of his troubled characters without ever making us aware of the effort involved. . . . An odd and completely captivating vel. NPR s Fresh Air Dazzlingly ambitious . . . one part intellectual thriller, one part domestic saga. The Huffington PostFrom the Hardcover edition.
- Author BiographyEthan Canin is the author of seven books, including the story collections Emperor of the Air and The Palace Thief and the novels For Kings and Planets, Carry Me Across the Water, and America America. He is on the faculty of the Iowa Writers Workshop and divides his time between Iowa and northern Michigan. From the Hardcover edition.
- Author(s)Ethan Canin
- PublisherRandom House Trade
- Date of Publication25/10/2016
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRandom House Trade
- Weight367 g
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Fiction Books
- AU $31.07New
- AU $21.61New
- AU $43.96New
- AU $25.09New
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $24.48Trending at AU $31.07
- AU $76.69Trending at AU $79.46
- AU $72.93Trending at AU $75.10
- AU $74.55Trending at AU $83.32
- AU $59.72Trending at AU $61.98
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $20.89
- AU $22.29Trending at AU $22.95
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.