All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA Dream in Polar Fog is the story of John MacLennan, a Canadian sailor who is left behind by his ship, stranded on the rtheastern tip of Siberia. The native Siberian community adopts the wounded stranger and teaches him to live as a true human being. Over time, John comes to kw his new companions as real people who share the best and worst of human traits with his own kind. Rytkheu's empathy, humour and provocative voice guide the reader across the magnificent landscape of the North and reveal all the complexity and beauty of a vanishing world.
- Author BiographyYuri Rytkheu was born in Uelen, a village in the Chukotka region of Siberia. He sailed the Bering Sea, worked on Arctic geological expeditions, and hunted in Arctic waters, in addition to writing over a dozen novels and collections of stories. A Dream in Polar Fog was a Kiriyama Pacific Rim Prize Notable Book in 2006. In the late 1950s, Rytkheu emerged not only as a great literary talent, but as the unique voice of a small national minority - the Chukchi people, a shrinking community residing in one of the most majestic and inhospitable environments on earth. <p/>Ilona Yazhbin Chavasse translated Rytkheu's novel The Chukchi Bible. Born in the former Soviet Union, she now lives in London with her husband and daughter.
- Author(s)Yuri Rytkheu
- PublisherArchipelago Books
- Date of Publication01/10/2006
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintArchipelago Books
- Weight449 g
- Width152 mm
- Height191 mm
- Spine25 mm
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $62.20Trending at AU $72.53
- AU $92.82Trending at AU $103.78
- AU $66.82Trending at AU $74.72
- AU $20.99Trending at AU $22.68
- AU $30.11Trending at AU $36.16
- AU $15.63Trending at AU $22.29
- AU $15.79Trending at AU $18.37
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.