All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis is an unusual book with an unusual purpose. Shabbir Akhtar is an intelligent and erudite Muslim whose writings have attracted the attention of Graham Greene and other English authors. In A Faith for All Seasons he challenges his fellow Muslims to recognize that they live in a secular world of religious pluralism; that they must demonstrate to their critics that Islam is a progressive and responsive faith. In the course of arguing for a more congenial encounter with the modern world, Mr. Akhtar offers a remarkably clear and concise explanation of Islam's basic religious tenets. He discusses its rivalry with Christianity, Marxism, and secular liberalism as ideologies that also claim the allegiance of modern man. Censuring his co-religionists for the current intellectual paralysis in Islamic circles, he shows how believers can cultivate a reverent yet penetrating skepticism which teaches the igrant, disturbs the orthodox, and agitates the indifferent.
- Author BiographyShabbir Akhtar was born in Pakistan but has long been settled in Bradford, England. He is a philosophy graduate of Cambridge with a doctorate in comparative religion. His first book, Be Careful with Muhammad!, about the Salman Rushdie affair, was widely praised by English reviewers.
- Author(s)Shabbir Akhtar
- PublisherIvan R Dee, Inc
- Date of Publication01/02/1991
- SubjectReligion: Comparative, General & Reference
- Place of PublicationChicago
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintIvan R Dee, Inc
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight385 g
- Width161 mm
- Height233 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.66Trending at AU $111.11
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $35.42Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.35
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.