All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFrom TheNew York Times bestselling author of THE ORGANIZED MIND and THIS IS YOUR BRAIN ON MUSIC, aprimer to the critical thinking that is more necessary w than ever. We are bombarded with more information each day than our brains can process especially in election season. It's raining bad data, half-truths, and even outright lies. New York Timesbestselling author Daniel J. Levitinshows how to recognize misleading anuncements, statistics, graphs, and written reports revealing the ways lying weasels can use them. It's becoming harder to separate the wheat from the digital chaff. How do we distinguish misinformation, pseudo-facts, distortions, and outright lies from reliable information? Levitin groups his field guide into two categories statistical infomation and faulty arguments ultimately showing how science is the bedrock of critical thinking. Infoliteracy means understanding that there are hierarchies of source quality and bias that variously distort our information feeds via every media channel, including social media. We may expect newspapers, bloggers, the government, and Wikipedia to be factually and logically correct, but they so often aren't. We need to think critically about the words and numbers we encounter if we want to be successful at work, at play, and in making the most of our lives. This means checking the plausibility and reasoning t passively accepting information, repeating it, and making decisions based on it. Readers learn to avoid the extremes of passive gullibility and cynical rejection. Levitin's charming, entertaining, accessible guide can help anyone wake up to a whole lot of things that aren't so. And catch some lying weasels in their tracks!
- Author BiographyDaniel J. Levitin, PhD, is a neuroscientist, cognitive psychologist, and best-selling author. He is FoundingDean of Arts & Humanities at the Minerva Schools at KGI in San Francisco, a Distinguished Faculty Fellow in the Haas School of Business at UC Berkeley, and Professor Emeritus at McGill University. He is the author ofThis Is Your Brain on Music, The World in Six Songs, andThe Organized Mind. He divides his time between Los Angeles and the San Francisco Bay Area.
- Author(s)Professor Daniel J Levitin
- PublisherDutton Books
- Date of Publication06/09/2016
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintDutton Books
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight476 g
- Width150 mm
- Height231 mm
- Spine30 mm
- Format DetailsSewn,Cloth over boards
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.04Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.94
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.35
- AU $32.21Trending at AU $40.58
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.26
- AU $39.30Trending at AU $40.16
- AU $34.16Trending at AU $35.20
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.