All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionOne of the difficulties in an introductory book is to communicate a sense of purpose. Only too easily to the beginner does the book become a sequence of definitions, concepts, and results which seem little more than curiousities leading where in particular. In this book I have tried to overcome this problem by making my central aim the determination of all possible groups of orders 1 to 15, together with some study of their structure. By the time this aim is realised towards the end of the book, the reader should have acquired the basic ideas and methods of group theory. To make the book more useful to users of mathematics, in particular students of physics and chemistry, I have included some applications of permutation groups and a discussion of finite point groups. The latter are the simplest examples of groups of partic- ular interest to scientists. They occur as symmetry groups of physical configurations such as molecules. Many ideas are discussed mainly in the exercises and the solutions at the end of the book. However, such ideas are used rarely in the body of the book. When they are, suitable references are given. Other exercises test and reinfol:'ce the text in the usual way. A final chapter gives some idea of the directions in which the interested reader may go after working through this book. References to help in this are listed after the outline solutions.
- Author(s)Cyril F. Gardiner
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication12/01/1981
- Series TitleUniversitext
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Notebiography
- Weight373 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Edition StatementSoftcover reprint of the original 1st ed. 1980
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $126.09New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.71New
- AU $93.44Used
- AU $101.53New
- AU $78.95New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.05
- AU $87.90Trending at AU $89.13
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.49
- AU $38.81Trending at AU $50.27
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $74.17
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.86
- AU $21.17Trending at AU $23.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.