All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe study of vibrations and waves is central to physics and engineering disciplines.This text contains a detailed treatment of vibrations and waves at an introductory level suitable for second and third year students. It builds on first year physics and emphasizes understanding of vibratory motion and waves based on first principles. Since waves appear in almost all branches of physics and engineering, readers will be exposed to many different types of waves; this study aims to draw together their similarities, by examining them in a common language. The book is divided into three parts: Part I contains a preliminary chapter that serves as a review of relevant ideas of mechanics and complex numbers. Part II is devoted to a detailed discussion of vibrations of mechanical systems. This part covers simple harmonic oscillator, coupled oscillators, rmal coordinates, beaded string, continuous string, and Fourier series. It concludes with a presentation of stationary solutions of driven finite systems. Part III is concerned with waves, focusing on the discussion of common aspects of all types of waves, and the applications to sound, electromagnetic, and matter waves are illustrated. Finally, relevant examples are provided at the end of the chapters to illustrate the main ideas, and better the reader's understanding.
- Author BiographyProfessor Mohammad Samiullah has taught introductory and advanced physics for 22 years at Truman State University, USA, where he is currently Professor of Physics. He has two Ph.D.'s from Boston University, USA, one in Chemistry and the other in Physics. He was a Research Fellow at the Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore before joining Truman. He also has a Master's degree from the Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur. Professor Samiullah has considerable experience with research in Physics Education and has published on collaborative learning methods in physics teaching. He was awarded a Truman Fellow and a Jepson Fellow at Truman State that recognized innovative teaching methods. His research contributions in physics have spanned from Quantum Field Theory to Solid State Physics and Nonlinear Optics.
- Author(s)Mohammad Samiullah
- PublisherOxford University Press
- Date of Publication13/08/2015
- SubjectScience & Mathematics: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOxford University Press
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight970 g
- Width190 mm
- Height244 mm
- Spine27 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $43.90
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $87.85
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.47
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.18
- AU $78.98Trending at AU $85.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.34
- AU $34.78Trending at AU $42.60
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.