All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionDescription Brenda and Peter's son Jonathan was killed in 1991 by a falling homemade goalpost which fell and hit him rupturing his heart. The goalposts were made from scaffold poles that weighed 200lb or more and had been welded. The children playing were in the under 11's team and probably only weighed more than 60-70lbs or even less. They were all members of the Football Association which is mandatory. At the time there was legislation for safety standards for goalposts, and there still isn't, but w there are some standards that the Football Association has worked hard to achieve, and these have been copied in Ireland and Australia. The whole world needs to be aware of unsafe football goalposts, which is what Brenda has tried to achieve over the last 17 years. After Jonathan died, and also after campaigning began, ather 10 children have died in the UK and others have been injured. Had legislation occurred then these deaths could have been prevented. Brenda has campaigned vigorously for 17 years in the hope of getting legislation for safe goalposts. She has come close at times to achieving this but still it evades her.In desperation, after feeling that one else cares, even though the Football Association have supported her in getting safety measures in place, Brenda decided to write a book about the campaign and list the support that she has had from famous footballers and the media that have helped with coverage. It would have been so easy for her to sit back and say, "Well, I tried! I did what I could" but she didn't sit back. She pushed and pushed and pushed again to try to get somebody to take tice and realise that the deaths of these children are t just accidents, but the goalposts used are accidents waiting to happen, and the unsafe goals are still out there!!!!!!!!!!!! The book's aim is to make parents, carers, football coaches and schools aware of what can happen when safety is igred. It also aims so show the Football Association that she still needs support to get legislation for safe goalposts. This is t a paraid mother, who is frightened of sport. The family love football and support West Ham United avidly, but she wants everyone else's son or daughter to be safe when playing the game.
- Author(s)Brenda Smith
- Date of Publication07/07/2008
- SubjectChildren's General Interest & Leisure
- Place of PublicationEssex
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight125 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine4 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.