All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionCan learner automy as a pedagogical approach improve the quality of foreign language learning? How can this approach be constructed so that it empowers foreign language learners to increase their learning independence and create the conditions for continuing progress? This book seeks to contribute to a longstanding and yet ongoing debate around questions such as these. It has been written by teacher trainers from several different European countries for foreign language teacher trainers and for teachers in training. The authors are committed to building a theoretical framework for the development of learner automy as well as working out its practical implications for foreign language teaching. The first three chapters of the book aim to help trainers and teachers understand the theory which is relevant to learner automy and the principles which support it. The last three chapters present practical ways of fostering learner automy in order to facilitate intercultural competence as well as develop listening, reading, speaking and writing skills in a foreign language.
- Author BiographyThe Editors: Kees van Esch is Associate Professor in Spanish and Applied Linguistics and a teacher trainer at ILS, the graduate school of education of Nijmegen University (The Netherlands). He obtained his doctorate from this university in 1987. The areas of interest in his research are applied linguistics and the didactics of foreign languages in general and of Spanish in particular. He has also published several course books of Spanish. Oliver St. John is an Englishman now working in Sweden where he is responsible for teacher education within the department of modern languages at the University of Gaevle. He is currently doing an M.A. in language pedagogy in Uppsala University and is also involved in writing language skills development teaching materials for secondary school pupils.
- PublisherPeter Lang AG
- Date of Publication01/10/2003
- SubjectLanguage Learning (other than ELT)
- Series TitleForeign Language Teaching in Europe
- Series Part/Volume Number8
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- ImprintPeter Lang AG
- Content Note3 fig., num. tables, includes video tape
- Weight530 g
- Width148 mm
- Height210 mm
- Edited byKees Van Esch,Oliver St. John
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.69Trending at AU $111.07
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.34
- AU $35.45Trending at AU $40.70
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.33
- AU $19.36Trending at AU $23.93
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.01
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.