All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionEncapsulating new policing developments under the Coalition, A Future for Policing in England and Wales examines the major reform proposals and reports brought in since May 2010, including the Winsor Report and the 2010 Comprehensive Spending Review, and analyses what these changes mean for the future of policing in England and Wales. In the 1990s and 2000s the Police Service in England and Wales underwent profound change which saw massive increases in resources accompanied by increased centralism, a more business-like approach, and the proliferation of national objectives, targets and strategic plans. The Coalition Government signalled a radical shift away from that political consensus towards fewer numbers, a significant reduction in resources, decentralisation, and the creation of locally elected crime commissioners. This book argues that, as a consequence of this, British society and politics are entering a difficult and complex future, featuring a return to some aspects the social tension and disorder which characterised the 1970s and 1980s, and that the Police Service is currently ill-structured to adapt to the changes. Drawing on the author's own experience as a chief constable and his continuing experience as a police historian and analyst of contemporary police affairs, A Future for Policing will be of interest to senior police officers and policing academics, as well as those involved in leadership and other personal development programmes. It will also be of interest to policymakers and historians.
- Author BiographyDr Timothy Brain was Chief Constable of Gloucestershire from 2001 until his retirement in January 2010, having previously served in Avon and Somerset, Hampshire and the West Midlands. He was awarded the Queen's Police Medal in 2002 and the OBE in 2008. He was national lead on police finances and led several high profile operations, notably Gloucestershire's response to the extensive flooding of 2007. A frequent speaker and broadcaster on a variety of police subjects including police futures, strategic leadership, finance, and police history, he is also a Visiting Professor at the University of Gloucestershire and holds honorary fellowships at Cardiff and Aberystwyth universities. His previous book, A History of Policing in England and Wales from 1974, was published by Oxford University Press in 2010.
- Author(s)Timothy Brain
- PublisherOxford University Press
- Date of Publication17/10/2013
- SubjectLaw: General & Reference
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOxford University Press
- Weight440 g
- Width157 mm
- Height233 mm
- Spine16 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $37.00Trending at AU $37.87
- AU $23.22Trending at AU $28.84
- AU $27.51Trending at AU $30.71
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.55
- AU $6.90Trending at AU $9.93
- AU $15.62Trending at AU $17.52
- AU $21.93Trending at AU $30.31
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.