Best-selling in Travel Guides
Save on Travel Guides
- AU $65.00Trending at AU $84.68
- AU $53.94Trending at AU $54.55
- AU $19.57Trending at AU $26.62
- AU $17.27Trending at AU $24.95
- AU $19.00Trending at AU $22.01
- AU $17.27Trending at AU $21.84
- AU $20.72Trending at AU $27.57
About this product
- DescriptionThe large house gecko, called tokek, is regarded as a lucky talisman by the Indonesians. When its 'Toke' resounds in the night, they count how many times it calls, both in town and in the country, and this number determines how lucky the call is. Only an odd number is lucky: seven is already quite good, but nine promises the peak of success and good fortune. The author has spent 18 years in Indonesia and helped the young independent country in its development and construction on the sectors of telecommunications, electrotechnical and solar power engineering. Amusing and interesting events from his private and professional life during those years make this book historically interesting and also humorous reading for anyone who is interested in getting to kw Indonesia off the beaten tourist track. The author and his famliy had tokeks in both their house in Jakarta and their weekend home in Carita. He often has heard nine successive calls, and the prophecy was fulfilled: Indonesia has brought the author luck and happiness.
- Author BiographyHorst Geerken, Jahrgang 1933, wuchs in einer kosmopolitischen Familie auf, die sich uber Europa und Amerika bis nach Japan ausgebreitet hat. Schon in seiner fruhen Jugend nahm er uber sein Hobby Amateurfunk Kontakte in alle Welt auf. Nicht verwunderlich, dass er Ingenieurwissenschaften mit Schwerpunkt Telekommunikation wahlte, die sich damals schnell weiterentwickelte und in viele Anwendungsbereiche Einzug fand. Wahrend des Studiums Aufenthalte in der Turkei; dann Aufbaustudium in den USA. Erst zwei Jahre lang in amerikanischem Regierungsauftrag tatig, danach als Resident und General Manager fur die Firma AEG-TELEFUNKEN in Indonesien. Ursprunglich fur drei Jahre geplant dauerte dieser Aufenthalt schliesslich 18 Jahre. Er bereiste fast alle Lander Asiens und ist ein Kenner dieser Region. Horst Geerken was born in 1933. After studying engineering in Germany and the USA, and also making a field visit to Turkey, he worked for the US Government in the USA for two years. He then spent the years 1963-1981 as Resident Engineer in Indonesia, and has visited almost all the countries of Asia, getting to know the region extremely well. In 1963 he arrived in the relatively new Republic of Indonesia, which was at that time going through a period of upheaval following the end of Dutch colonial rule. Political disturbances accompanied his first professional steps in this tropical paradise.
- Author(s)Horst H Geerken
- PublisherBooks on Demand
- Date of Publication05/05/2015
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectTravel & Holiday Guides: General
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBooks on Demand
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight680 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine21 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.