All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionCantonese has a wealth of colloquial expressions on various daily life situations which are very descriptive but t easily comprehensible to n-Cantonese. This book collects and compiles over 3,000 entries of the commonly used ones and presents them with their English translations for English-speaking students learning Cantonese. Besides listing the expression in Chinese characters with its literal translation in English, each entry also contains its phonetic transcription in the Yale Romanization System, and a description of its meaning and sometimes its origin. The entries are arranged alphabetically according following the Yale Romanization System, and for ease of reference, an index by the strokes of the Chinese characters of the expressions is included. There is also an elaborate description of the Yale Romanization System.
- Author BiographySimon Siu-Hing So teaches Chinese, Cantonese and Chinese-English translation at George Brown College in Toronto and the School of Continuing Studies, University of Toronto. His Chinese works include Treaties on the Eminent Families in the Two Chins and Southern Dynasties, Chinese Railroad Workers for the Canadian Pacific Railway and Probing China's Soul. He is also the author of two textbooks for Cantonese learners, Say It in Cantonese.
- Author(s)Simon Siu-Hing So
- PublisherThe Chinese University Press
- Date of Publication31/03/2002
- LanguageEnglish & Chinese
- SubjectBilingual Dictionaries
- Place of PublicationHong Kong
- Country of PublicationHong Kong
- ImprintThe Chinese University Press
- Content Noteindex
- Weight522 g
- Width140 mm
- Height250 mm
- Spine23 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.65Trending at AU $96.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $35.43Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.35
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.