All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionHumphrey Phelps farmed in west Gloucestershire, near to the Forest of Dean, for most of his life, as did his father and his grandfather before him. He has seen farming change from the days when much of the work on a farm was done by manual labour and before it became overly mechanised and industrialised. In this collection of articles, which he wrote for various newspapers and magazines, such as The Countryman and Gloucestershire & Avon Life , he looks at how farming has changed over the years, for better and for worse, and laments the passing of some of its more traditional aspects in the name of 'progress'. Written in an engaging style and with a genuine affection for his subject, this is a charming selection of musings and anecdotes, interwoven with serious analysis of the state of the countryside and farming that will appeal to all who love Gloucestershire and rural life.
- Author BiographyHumphrey Phelpsfarmed land near the Forest of Dean in Gloucestershire, where he still lives, although he has now retired from farming. He is also the author of numerous books, including a series of six about rural life and several collections of old photographs of Gloucestershire and Suffolk. He has been for many years a regular contributor to newspapers and magazines on rural and local affairs.
- Author(s)Humphrey Phelps
- PublisherThe History Press Ltd
- Date of Publication01/05/2008
- SubjectLocal History, Names & Genealogy
- Place of PublicationStroud
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintNonsuch Publishing
- Weight260 g
- Width125 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine10 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.64New
- AU $20.61New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $29.94New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $125.99Trending at AU $127.76
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $29.94
- AU $56.80Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.25Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $30.82
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.