All listings for this product
Best-selling in Other
Save on Other
- AU $31.10Trending at AU $43.88
- AU $59.35Trending at AU $69.41
- AU $27.19Trending at AU $28.05
- AU $34.40Trending at AU $40.73
- AU $28.45Trending at AU $37.91
- AU $16.48Trending at AU $19.69
About this product
- DescriptionThis volume contains a reprint of the English translation (1843) by Sir George Webbe Dasent of Rask's Anvising till Islandskan eller Nordiska Fornspraket (1818). This re-edition, with an added bio-bibliography of Rask, should enable the linguist of today to obtain a fairly rounded picture of this important 19th-century scholar who, together with Bopp and Grimm, has justly been ranked among the founding fathers of the comparative-historical study of Indo-European languages. Rasmus Kristian Rask (1787-1832) did t occupy himself with historical linguistics alone as a comparativist, but also with language as a system based on a tion of structure comprised of three key ideas: the idea of wholeness, the idea of transformation (derivation and composition), and the idea of self-regulation. He formulated theoretical and practical premises for the composition of grammars, and in this he was far ahead of his time and in closer proximity to the linguistic concerns and problems of our era. From both theoretical and pedagogical points of view, Rask's grammar of Icelandic remains a most remarkable work.
- Author(s)Rasmus Kristian Rask
- PublisherJohn Benjamins Publishing Co
- Date of Publication01/01/1976
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Series TitleAmsterdam Classics in Linguistics, 1800-1925
- Series Part/Volume Number2
- Place of PublicationAmsterdam
- Country of PublicationNetherlands
- ImprintJohn Benjamins Publishing Co
- Content Noteviii, 273 pp.
- Weight650 g
- Width164 mm
- Height245 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Edited byThomas Markey
- Translated bySir George Webbe Dasent
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.