All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionTarnya Cooper discusses key surviving works, including those of Henry VIII, Catherine Parr, Walter Ralegh, Elizabeth I and James I. She explains why portraiture thrived during this period and why, with the declining demand for religious paintings in Northern Europe, emigrant artists such as Hans Holbein the Younger came to England to seek a new market. With lively engaging text and a dynamic design, the guide is organised thematically: the themes include costume and portraiture, pictures with stories to tell, monarchy, family portraits and artists and techniques. A visual timeline is included to show at a glimpse the major developments in portraiture during this period. Tarnya Cooper also includes some surprisingly beautiful technical pictures from her latest research, making her expert kwledge accessible and fascinating. Aimed to have widespread appeal to readers of all ages, Antonia Fraser's foreword shows how portraiture illuminates history and brings it to life. As Britain moved away from being just a small part of Catholic Christendom and established itself as a Protestant country, with the monarch as the head of the Church, the individual became increasingly important. This guide shows t only how people chose to present themselves, but also introduces their fascinating lives and times.
- Author BiographyTarnya Cooper is Curator of Sixteenth-century Portraits at the National Portrait Gallery, London. She co-curated the exhibition Elizabeth at the National Maritime Museum, and curated Searching for Shakespeare at the National Portrait Gallery. Antonia Fraser is a best-selling author of narrative history who brings the past to life with exceptional vividness.
- Author(s)Antonia Fraser,Tarnya Cooper
- PublisherNational Portrait Gallery Publications
- Date of Publication01/01/2012
- SubjectFine Arts / Art History
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintNational Portrait Gallery Publications
- Content Note50 colour
- Weight180 g
- Width180 mm
- Height240 mm
- Spine6 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.