All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA Handbook for Sensory and Consumer Driven New Product Development explores traditional and well established sensory methods (difference, descriptive and affective) as well as taking a vel approach to product development and the use of new methods and recent invations. This book investigates the use of these established and new sensory methods, particularly hedonic methods coupled with descriptive methods (traditional and rapid), through multivariate data analytical interfaces in the process of optimizing food and beverage products effectively in a strategically defined manner. The first part of the book covers the sensory methods which are used by sensory scientists and product developers, including established and new and invative methods. The second section investigates the product development process and how the application of sensory analysis, instrumental methods and multivariate data analysis can improve new product development, including packaging optimization and shelf life. The final section defines the important sensory criteria and modalities of different food and beverage products including Dairy, Meat, Confectionary, Bakery, and Beverage (alcoholic and n-alcoholic), and presents case studies indicating how the methods described in the first two sections have been successfully and invatively applied to these different foods and beverages. The book is written to be of value to new product development researchers working in large corporations, SMEs (micro, small or medium-sized enterprises) as well as being accessible to the vice starting up their own business. The invative techlogies and methods described are less expensive than some more traditional practices and aim to be quick and effective in assisting products to market. Sensory testing is critical for new product development/optimization, ingredient substitution and devising appropriate packaging and shelf life as well as comparing foods or beverages to competitor's products.
- Author BiographyDr. Maurice O'Sullivan has worked in the food industry as a flavor chemist for Diageo Baileys and Guinness as well as holding the position of Global Regulatory Affairs Manager for Diageo Baileys. He has also worked as a food technologist and product development scientist for Dawn Farm Foods. He has a Ph.D. in Sensory and Consumer science from the Department of Food Science, University of Copenhagen, Denmark as well as MSc. and BSc. Degrees in Food Science and Technology from University College Cork (UCC). Currently he is working in the School of Food and Nutritional Sciences, University College Cork as a Post-Doctoral Research Fellow, managing sensory and flavor based projects involving a diverse selection of products as well as lecturing in sensory science. He has published over 60+ research papers in the area of sensory and consumer science (+20 in preparation ) as well as 61 conference presentations and 13 book chapters. He collaborates extensively with the food industry on varied product optimization and development projects. He is a member of the European Sensory Network (ESN) as well as research coordinator for the FoodUnique network.
- Author(s)Maurice O'Sullivan
- PublisherElsevier Science & Technology
- Date of Publication13/09/2016
- SubjectIndustrial Chemistry & Manufacturing
- Series TitleWoodhead Publishing Series in Food Science, Technology and Nutrition
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintWoodhead Publishing Ltd
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight510 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine25 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.87
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $30.98
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $32.21Trending at AU $40.50
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.21
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $34.80
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.