All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWilliam Coperthwaite is a teacher, builder, designer, and writer who for many years has explored the possibilities of true simplicity on a homestead on the rth coast of Maine. In the spirit of Henry David Thoreau, Emily Dickinson, and Helen and Scott Nearing, Coperthwaite has fashioned a livelihood of integrity and completeness--buying almost thing, providing for his own needs, and serving as a guide and companion to hundreds of apprentices drawn to his unique way of being. A Handmade Life carries Coperthwaite's ongoing experiments with hand tools, hand-grown and gathered food, and handmade shelter, clothing, and furnishings out into the world to challenge and inspire. His writing is both philosophical and practical, exploring themes of beauty, work, education, and design while giving instruction on the hand-crafting of the necessities of life: house, tools, clothing, and furniture. Richly illustrated with lumius color photographs by Peter Forbes, the book is a moving and inspirational testament to an new/old way of life.
- Author BiographyWilliam Coperthwaite is a native of Maine who has travelled the world in search of folk-art techniques and subsistence skills. Impressed by the beauty and intelligence of the traditional central Asian nomadic tents called eyurtsi, Coperthwaite adapted and introduced to North America yurt design and construction, building them for for family homes, schools, camps and outbuildings. William Coperthwaite is a native of Maine who has travelled the world in search of folk-art techniques and subsistence skills. Impressed by the beauty and intelligence of the traditional central Asian nomadic tents called yurts, Coperthwaite adapted and introduced to North America yurt design and construction. In the past four decades he has participated in building more than three hundred yurts for family homes, schools, camps, and outbuildings. Awarded a doctorate from Harvard University's School of Education for his work with Eskimo villagers, Coperthwaite has taught in a variety of innovative educational settings.
- Author(s)Peter Forbes,William Coperthwaite
- PublisherChelsea Green Publishing Co
- Date of Publication09/05/2007
- SubjectSelf Improvement: General
- Place of PublicationWhite River Junction
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintChelsea Green Publishing Co
- Content NoteColor Photos, Black and White Illustrations
- Weight494 g
- Width229 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine12 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $50.71Trending at AU $61.55
- AU $32.59Trending at AU $36.88
- AU $32.77Trending at AU $40.84
- AU $30.36Trending at AU $40.12
- AU $30.37Trending at AU $31.39
- AU $15.79Trending at AU $25.15
- AU $14.47Trending at AU $16.66
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.