All listings for this product
About this product
- Description2011 Goverr General's Literary Award for Children's Text NomineeIndependent Publisher Book Award Silver Medalist, 20112011 Skipping Stones Hor Award winnerOn the 2011 USBBY Outstanding International Books hor listAnn Conner Brimer Award for Children's Literature finalist, 20112011 Sw Willow Award mineeA 2012 Woozles' Battle of the Books Elementary List TitleA 2012 Woozles' Battle of the Books Teen List TitleWhen civil war strikes Jacob Deng's Southern Sudanese village, seven-year-old Jacob embarks on a seemingly endless journey that tests his courage and determination. His wise mama tells him that he must one day go to school to seek answers and help carve a better future for his people. Wadeng is a Dinka word meaning look to the future, it will be better; follow your dreams, and it, along with his precious Mama stone, becomes Jacob's talisman of hope, helping him remain strong on his seven-year search for a place of refuge. Jacob and his young friends are confronted with war, starvation, dehydration, raging rivers, crocodile and lion attacks, and the evil Majok - the constant thorn in Jacob's side - as they struggle to survive on their own. As the boys work and grow together as a family, surviving in harsh conditions, against the odds, Jacob's boyhood desire to become a soldier wanes. Gradually, he comes to the realization that fighting doesn't improve anything and begins to embrace his mother's belief in education as the road to peace and stability. Inspired by the real life experiences of a Lost Boy of Sudan, this vel is about an extraordinary journey of courage, perseverance, and hope.
- Author BiographyJan Coates has woven Jacob's story into novel form so that young Canadian readers can learn more about this heroic youn man, his ordeal, and his hope for his homeland. Jan in the author of Rainbows in the Dark (2005). She lives in Wolfville, Nova Scotia.Jacob Deng now lives in Nova Scotia, is married and has a young family. His foundation, Wadeng Wings of Hope, seeks to build schools for young children in southern Sudan.
- Author(s)Jan L Coates
- PublisherRed Deer Press
- Date of Publication30/09/2010
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectYoung Adult Fiction
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRed Deer Press
- Content Notemaps
- Weight386 g
- Width130 mm
- Height190 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Other Children & Young Adults
Save on Other Children & Young Adults
- AU $62.47Trending at AU $74.67
- AU $26.78Trending at AU $32.57
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $49.75
- AU $11.16Trending at AU $15.69
- AU $37.63Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $11.55Trending at AU $11.73
- AU $15.43Trending at AU $15.99
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.