All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.50Trending at AU $111.86
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.51
- AU $35.81Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.51
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $23.98
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.13
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.34
About this product
- DescriptionA History of Australian Cricket was first published in 1939, when Australia was just beginning to dominate world cricket for a fourth time. Since then they have proved themselves masters of both the one-day and five-day versions of the game. This book examines the beginnings of the Australian game in the early nineteenth century and demonstrates the influence of English touring teams of the 1860s and 1870s and the coaches they left behind them. They enabled Australia to challenge England on equal terms by 1876-77. Throughout this book, cricket events are richly counter-pointed by background arrangements (and feuds) between the Board and State Associations and the remarkable career of Sir Donald Bradman is chronicled in detail - he was t only the greatest batsman ever but also a superb administrator. Taking in the Bodyline Tour and all others inbetween, this book provides unique insight into Australian cricket history right up to the modern day and amply demonstrates how the Australian Cricket Academy, which opened its doors in 1981, laid the foundations for Australia's current pre-eminence. Australia are probably the greatest cricket team the world has ever seen and this is the story of their journey to the top.
- Author BiographyChris Harte spent 16 years living and working in Australia where he established a big reputation as a cricket journalist and commentator, editor and author. Other books he has written include The History of the Sheffield Shield and SACA: The History of the South Australian Cricket Association. The updates for this edition are being written by Bernard Whimpress, author of Passport to Nowhere, a history of aboriginal cricket, who is the current curator of the Adelaide Oval Museum.
- Author(s)Bernard Whimpress,Chris Harte
- PublisherCarlton Books Ltd
- Date of Publication01/09/2003
- SubjectBall Games: Field & Outdoor
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAndre Deutsch Ltd
- Out-of-print date17/10/2012
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight1 g
- Width160 mm
- Height230 mm
- Foreword byRichie Benaud
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.