A History of Indian Literature in English by C Hurst & Co Publishers Ltd (Paperback, 2003)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $38.90Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by buyitnowbooksoz2010
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $19.34Free postage
- Good condition
- Sold by book_fountain
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFor anyone interested in the story of English in India, or in the finest English storytellers of India, this book, an illustrated history of two hundred years of Indian literature in English, should be a useful companion. It discusses the canical poets, velists and dramatists as well as many of the lesser kwn literary figures - scientists, spiritualists and learned men and women - who have made major contributions to the evolution of Indian literature in English. The book comprises 24 chapters, each by a well-kwn writer or critic. Each chapter is devoted to either a single author (Kipling, Tagore, Sri Aurobindo, R.K. Narayan, Rushdie) or to a group of authors (the Dutt family 19th-century Calcutta; the Indian diasporic writers of the twentieth century) or to a genre (beginnings of the Indian vel; poetry since Independence). This is a book for the n-specialist general reader. Biographical information on every major Indian literary figure is provided and the work of each author, genre or school is historically contextualized. The essays can be read selectively - for example, to follow the development of a genre - or read in the order in which they appear, which is chrological. The information is supplemented by 150 rare photographs and sketches of writers, collected specially for this volume William Jones and Thomas Macaulay, Henry Derozio and Toru Dutt, Bankim and Tagore, Kipling and Naipaul, G.V. Desani and Raja Rao, R.K. Narayan and Nirad C. Chaudhuri, Sarojini Naidu and Anita Desai, Gandhi and Nehru, Mulkraj Anand and Aubrey Menen, Khushwant Singh and Ved Mehta, Verrier Elwin and Salim Ali, Jim Corbet and M. Krishnan, Nissim Ezekiel and A.K. Ramanujan, Salman Rushdie and Vikram Seth, Amitav Ghosh and I. Allan Sealy, Gieve Patel and Girish Karnad, social reformers and religious thinkers, conservationists and hunters, drama and translation, this volume covers everything of literary significance in India from Ram Mohan Ray to Arundhati.
- Author BiographyArvind Krishna Mehrotra is a poet, critic and translator who teaches English at the University of Allahabad, India. He is the editor of the Oxford Anthology of Modern Indian Poets.
- PublisherC Hurst & Co Publishers Ltd
- Date of Publication05/03/2003
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintC Hurst & Co Publishers Ltd
- Content NoteIll.
- Weight529 g
- Width149 mm
- Height225 mm
- Spine24 mm
- Edited byArvind Krishna Mehrotra
- Edition StatementNew edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.51
- AU $35.82Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $19.57Trending at AU $23.98
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.34
- AU $57.88Trending at AU $63.53
- AU $19.95Trending at AU $20.35
- AU $16.96Trending at AU $23.43
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.