All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhat does the tradition of marriage really look like? In A History of Marriage, Elizabeth Abbott paints an often surprising picture of this most public, yet most intimate, institution. Ritual of romance, or social obligation? Eternal bliss, or cult of domesticity? Abbott reveals a complex tradition that includes same-sex unions, arranged marriages, dowries, self-marriages, and child brides. Marriage in all its loving, unloving, decadent, and impoverished manifestations is revealed here through Abbott's infectious curiosity.
- Author BiographyBorn in Montreal in 1942, ELIZABETH ABBOTT is a writer, lecturer and historian whose interests range across women's issues, social justice, the humane treatment of animals, and the environment. She holds a doctorate from McGill University in 19th century history. With the 2010 publication of A History of Marriage, Abbott completed her trilogy about human relationships, which includes the previous titles A History of Celibacy and A History of Mistresses. Abbott is also the author of several books and articles on the culture and politics of Haiti. Sugar: A Bittersweet History, inspired by her Antiguan heritage, was short-listed for the 2009 Charles Taylor Prize for Literary Non-Fiction. Abbott has lived in Port-au-Prince, Haiti and now resides in Toronto.
- Author(s)Elizabeth Abbott
- PublisherSeven Stories Press,U.S.
- Date of Publication01/08/2011
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSeven Stories Press,U.S.
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight771 g
- Width160 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine33 mm
- Format DetailsUnsewn / adhesive bound,Paper over boards,With dust jacket
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.65Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.12Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.93
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.02Trending at AU $36.09
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.