All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionHistory is never more alive than when you're walking through it. The smell of earth long-trodden by pilgrims; mountain vistas unchanged for millennia; the feel of weathered wall, built centuries before...To hike amid such echoes of the past is as close as you'll come to travelling back in time. This book will lead you on a grand tour of world events, from prehistory to the 21st century. Meandering along 500 historically resonant trails, A History of the World in 500 Walks is learned but light-footed and never pedestrian, combining inspirational and kwledgable commentary with practical detail. Starting at the very beginning, with hikes amid some of the planet's most startling geology, A History of the World in 500 Walks strolls towards and presents, via the pathways of the Roman emperors, Mayan civilisations, medieval pilgrims and Second World War soldiers. In its beautifully illustrated pages, you can follow in the footsteps of Christians, convicts, communists, and conquistadores, Aboriginal tribes, high-seas explorers, gold prospectors, silk traders, Buddhists, Berbers, a bard and a barmy Bavarian. The tales are as varied as the terrain they cover-and will likely spur you to lace up your own boots.
- Author BiographySarah Baxter is a respected British writer with extensive media contacts. Since 2002 she has worked at Wanderlust magazine, the bible for independent-minded travellers, where she is now Associate Editor. She has written extensively on walking and travel for Wanderlust and a diverse range of other publications, from the Guardian, The Telegraph, and the Independent to Country Walking and Runner's World, and has contributed to more than a dozen Lonely Planet books.
- Author(s)Sarah Baxter
- PublisherAurum Press Ltd
- Date of Publication15/06/2016
- SubjectFishing, Field Sports & Outdoor Activities
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAurum Press Ltd
- Width170 mm
- Height227 mm
Best Selling in Textbooks
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $72.51New
- AU $65.15Used
- AU $78.97New
- AU $105.90New
- AU $75.89Used
Save on Textbooks
- AU $47.66Trending at AU $77.86
- AU $75.90Trending at AU $80.48
- AU $21.03Trending at AU $23.17
- AU $29.80Trending at AU $36.12
- AU $89.88Trending at AU $94.85
- AU $19.59Trending at AU $32.70
- AU $79.99Trending at AU $102.02
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.