All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionTake a trip to a lost world. A world permeated by the odour of stale tobacco and overflowing toilets; a world where your feet stick to the carpet and the walls are covered in peeling flock wallpaper. The Watneys Red Barrel is warm, but the band on stage is hot. Welcome to the world of 1970s pub rock. Groups disillusioned with mainstream music - such as Eggs Over Easy, Brinsley Schwarz, Kilburn and the High Roads, Joe Strummers' 101ers, Chilli Willi and the Red Hot Peppers, Ducks Deluxe and Ace - sought refuge from a musical landscape ruled by stodgy prog rock heavyweights and fluffy glam lightweights. The pubs provided the venues they, and a thirsty public, needed. Jake Riviera and Dave Robinson (the latter has given a lengthy exclusive interview for this book) managed some of these bands before starting Stiff Records, where they turned pub rock caterpillars into new wave butterflies. Elvis Costello, Ian Dury, Dave Edmunds, Nick Lowe and Graham Parker were at the vanguard of Stiff's revolution. Meanwhile, Dr Feelgood and Eddie and the Hot Rods were placing Southend-on-Sea at the centre of Britain's musical map. Here are all their stories. With eye-witness accounts from those involved, John Blaney explains perfectly how pub rock started, flourished and reinvented itself as the new wave: 'A Howlin' Wind' that blew away the cobwebs from a moribund music scene. If you were there, you'll love this book. If you weren't, read it and marvel at an era where the music still mattered.
- Author BiographyJohn Blaney has written Lennon and McCartney: Together Alone for Jawbone as well as other books on the Beatles, as he is a massive fan of the band. Originally from Devon England he trained as a graphic designer before working in music retail. He studied History of Art at Camberwell College and Goldsmiths college before taking up his present post as curator of a museum of technology.
- Author(s)John Blaney
- PublisherSoundcheck Books
- Date of Publication01/09/2011
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintSoundcheck Books
- Content Note8
- Weight479 g
- Width138 mm
- Height215 mm
- Spine14 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.88
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.86
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.37
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $75.12
- AU $31.50Trending at AU $37.08
- AU $44.51Trending at AU $47.26
- AU $25.48Trending at AU $28.32
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.