All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA Journey on My Own tells the story of Eric Vieler, born in America but raised in Hitler's Germany, where he saw the persecution of Jewish neighbors and experienced the bombing of cities. After being expelled from a Nazi-run academy, he crossed battle lines to reach his home. On Easter 1945, he encountered American troops, became their interpreter, and witnessed fierce fighting. He joined British occupation forces, doing a variety of jobs for food as compensation. Vieler's quest for his American identity was fulfilled when he was repatriated to America at age fifteen, but thoughts of independence were thwarted when, due to his age, he was required to attend public school. Although he held after-school jobs, his primary support was through a New York City welfare agency. In 1950, Vieler enlisted in the Army, was commissioned at age nineteen, and went on to serve in Korea, where he was seriously wounded and twice decorated for valor.
- Author BiographyEric H. Vieler, Ph.D., is a retired Army colonel in military intelligence, who lives in San Francisco with his wife, Wickie. He has two other publications in print: his dissertation, The Ideological Roots of German Nationalism, and his Korean War memoir, Destination EVIL.
- Author(s)Eric H. Vieler
- PublisherUniversity Press of America
- Date of Publication10/11/2009
- SubjectHistory: World & General
- Place of PublicationLanham, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintHamilton Books
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight181 g
- Width155 mm
- Height230 mm
- Spine9 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.66Trending at AU $111.11
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $35.42Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.35
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $23.94
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.