All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn A Life Afield, A. Hunter Smith welcomes readers to sit by his fireside as he recounts twelve evocative tales from his extensive experience as a hunter and hunting guide. Though Smith could draw from some 350 years of ancestral sportsman stories, he instead describes his own successes and mishaps with an intimacy that captivates audiences. Through his narratives Smith shares his philosophy on hunting and rambling in the outdoors and questions what it means to be a true sportsman in today's Deep South. As his stories make clear, the South's outdoor heritage has changed drastically within the last twenty-five years or more. The beauty and majesty of the natural world, as well as the principles of hor, integrity, and humanity found within circles of sportsmen, are seemingly longer reward eugh for the sporting world of today. Many of the age-old and time-proven wisdoms of woodsmanship are in danger of being forgotten or dismissed by a new era of immediate reward for minimal effort. A Life Afield reminds readers what it means to be a woodsman: to hold the woods and waters deep within one's heart. Taken as a whole, the collection chronicles the author's quest to adulthood, influenced by his outdoor adventures and friendships, while also subtly providing solid lessons in sporting ethics, gun safety, and general woodsmanship. A Life Afield includes a foreword by Ellison D. Smith IV, an environmental attorney, author of The Day the Pelican Spoke and Free as a Fish, and brother of the author.
- Author BiographyA. Hunter Smith is a native South Carolinian who has hunted and fished across the Southeast and the nation for the last forty-three years. For thirty years he worked as a hunting and fishing guide and now writes outdoor stories that stem from his experiences afield. He has been published regularly in outdoor magazines and journals, both regionally and nationally including South Carolina Wildlife magazine and Gray's Sporting Journal.
- Author(s)A. Hunter Smith
- PublisherUniversity of South Carolina Press
- Date of Publication30/11/2014
- SubjectFishing, Field Sports & Outdoor Activities
- Place of PublicationSouth Carolina
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of South Carolina Press
- Weight590 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine30 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.68Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.13Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.37Trending at AU $36.09
- AU $28.53Trending at AU $29.80
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.