All listings for this product
Best-selling in Other Children & Young Adults
About this product
- DescriptionExcerpt from A Life's Assize Over the border; beyond that vast expanse of moss across which the express speeds rthward after leaving Carlisle; west of the Southern Highlands, there stands - like one who has voluntarily stepped aside from the world's hurry and turmoil - in the tranquil valley of Nithsdale, the fair 'Queen of the South, ' Dumfries. Now-a-days, Dumfries is but little visited. Tourists journeying post-haste on to Loch Lomond and the Trosachs, speeding away to look at frowning mountains and darksome lakes, have leisure, and less inclination, to tarry at so insignificant a spot. Sterner beauties, ted from generation to generation, beckon to them from the rthern fastnesses; and accordingly it comes to pass that the humbler and softer loveliness of Nithsdale is left unregarded, and the town where my story opens blooms like the flower of the wilderness, only to gladden the heart and refresh the spirit of some chance wayfarer. Very soft, very stealing, very long-enduring, is the beauty of this part of Scotland. It does t assail the imagination with beetling cliff, with foaming waterfall, with lakes silent and gloomy, with rugged defiles, with frowning precipices - but it leaves an impression on the imagination which very much grander scenery often fails to do. About the Publisher Forgotten Books publishes hundreds of thousands of rare and classic books. Find more at www.forgottenbooks.com This book is a reproduction of an important historical work. Forgotten Books uses state-of-the-art techlogy to digitally reconstruct the work, preserving the original format whilst repairing imperfections present in the aged copy. In rare cases, an imperfection in the original, such as a blemish or missing page, may be replicated in our edition. We do, however, repair the vast majority of imperfections successfully; any imperfections that remain are intentionally left to preserve the state of such historical works.
- Author(s)Mrs J H Riddell
- PublisherForgotten Books
- Date of Publication27/09/2015
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectChildren's Fiction
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintForgotten Books
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight540 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine21 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.