All listings for this product
About this product
- Description'A highly readable and intelligent narrative account ...Anyone with the slightest interest in the English parish church...will be intrigued, informed and enchanted by this lucid, and occasionally provocative account' - Country Life . 'The writing is concise, uncluttered, clear. Even when you kw the history, you still turn the pages, wanting to find out what small but telling detail he has uncovered next' - The Times . This fascinating and beautifully illustrated little history is a celebration of the English country church - and a passionate plea for its preservation. In his engaging account Roy Strong tells the dramatic story of the English parish church, from the first temporary buildings erected in Anglo-Saxon times to its uncertain future in the twenty-first century.From the arrival of the missionaries from Ireland and Rome, who erected crosses in the country to mark the places where they preached, to the beautiful architecture and rich spirituality of medieval Catholicism; from the cataclysm of the Reformation, which replaced the splendour of ritual with the preaching of the Word, to the age of the 'squarson', the gentrified cleric we meet in the vels of Jane Austen: Roy Strong takes us on a journey - historical, social and spiritual - to explore what men and women experienced through the age when they went to church on Sunday. 'Indispensable' - Sunday Telegraph .
- Author BiographySir Roy Strong was educated at the University of London, and the Warburg Institute. He joined the staff of the National Portrait Gallery in 1959 and became its director from 1967 to 1973. He was director of the Victoria & Albert Museum from 1974 to 1987, when he resigned to become a full-time writer, broadcaster and consultant. His books include The Cult of Elizabeth, Gloriana, Painting the Past, The Story of Britain, The Arts in Britain, Feast and Coronation.
- Author(s)Sir Roy Strong
- PublisherVintage Publishing
- Date of Publication04/09/2008
- SubjectLocal History, Names & Genealogy
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight210 g
- Width130 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.73
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.72Trending at AU $42.75
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $25.56
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.