All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe story of St. Patrick's life is a dynamic tale of high drama and intense spiritual force. A generation ago, the American Catholic velist John Edward Beahn retold that story as a biographical vel based on The Confession, Patrick s famous autobiographical work. A Man Cleansed by God: A Novel on St. Patrick\'s Confession was published in 1959, a vivid narrative with intriguing speculations about the details of Patrick s experience that have been lost to history. St. Patrick s life was a series of heroic adventures: Captured as a young teen by pirates and taken from his comfortable life in ancient Roman Britain, he was sold as a slave in Ireland. Six years later he escaped and, after a long, arduous journey, he returned to his family-only to receive a call from God to go back to Ireland as a Christian missionary. Trained and ordained as a priest, and ultimately consecrated a bishop, he returned at last to Ireland. There, his bold preaching brought many thousands into the Christian fold and led to the establishment of numerous churches and religious communities. Yet even with such remarkable success, Patrick faced stiff opposition and persecution: He had to defend himself against the intrigues and false charges of both religious and political enemies, who on one occasion even went so far as to rob him of all he possessed, beat him severely, and put him in chains. A second generation of readers are sure to be delighted by this TAN Legend edition of A Man Cleansed by God: A Novel Based on the Life of St. Patrick, an unforgettable portrait of the fifth-century saint who changed Ireland forever.
- Author BiographyJohn Edward Beahn (1910-1990) was born in Philadelphia, served in the United States Army during World War II, and became a business executive who discovered his writing gifts later in life. He contribute articles to several Catholic magazines and wrote popular biographical novels of the saints, including: A Rich Young Man (1953), about St. Anthony of Padua; A Man Born Again (1954), about St. Thomas More; A Man of Good Zeal (1958), about St. Francis de Sales; and A Man Cleansed by God (1959), about St. Patrick's Confession.
- Author(s)John Edward Beahn
- PublisherTan Books
- Date of Publication05/09/2013
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectHistorical & Mythological Fiction
- Series TitleTan Legends
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintTan Books
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight277 g
- Width137 mm
- Height213 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $12.00Trending at AU $16.78
- AU $62.20Trending at AU $75.03
- AU $19.77Trending at AU $20.54
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $31.08
- AU $47.08Trending at AU $49.55
- AU $21.78Trending at AU $22.68
- AU $22.15Trending at AU $23.02
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.