A Man Most Driven: Captain John Smith, Pocahontas and the Founding of America by Peter Firstbrook (Hardback, 2014)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $30.49Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $26.95+ AU $7.95 postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionHe fought and beheaded three Turkish adversaries in duels. He was sold into slavery, then murdered his master to escape. He sailed under a pirate flag, was shipwrecked and marched to the gallows to be hanged, only to be reprieved at the eleventh hour. And all this happened before he was thirty years old. This is Captain John Smith's life. Everyone kws the story of Pocahontas, and how in 1607 she saved John Smith. And were it t for Smith's leadership, the Jamestown colony would surely have failed. Yet Smith was a far more ambitious explorer and soldier of fortune than these tales suggest - and a far more ambitious self-promoter, too. Now, in this first new major biography of Smith in decades, award-winning BBC filmmaker and author Peter Firstbrook traces the adventurer's astonishing exploits across three continents, testing Smith's own writings against the historical and geographical reality on the ground. With A Man Most Driven, Firstbrook delivers a riveting, enlightening dissection of this myth-making man, England's arrival on the world stage, and the creation of America.
- Author BiographyPeter Firstbrook is author of The Voyage of the Matthew (about the explorer John Cabot), Lost on Everest (about George Mallory), and The Obamas: The Untold Story of an African Family. He worked for the BBC for twenty-five years as a television producer, director and executive producer, specializing in historical documentaries. He has won over thirty international awards, including on two occasions the Royal Television Society award for best documentary. He divides his time between London and the Isle of Wight.
- Author(s)Peter Firstbrook
- PublisherOneworld Publications
- Date of Publication06/11/2014
- SubjectBiography: Historical, Political & Military
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOneworld Publications
- Content Note57 black & white illustrations, 10 maps
- Weight635 g
- Width153 mm
- Height230 mm
- Spine31 mm
Best Selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $21.21New
- AU $18.80New
- AU $10.94Used
- AU $24.85New
Women Who Run with Wolves: Myths and Stories of the Wild Woman Archetype by Clarissa Pinkola Estes (Paperback, 1996)
- AU $13.60New
- AU $6.47Used
- AU $19.97New
Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking: Be a Happy Non-smoker for the Rest of Your Life by Allen Carr (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $24.81New
- AU $11.56Used
- AU $24.00New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $22.97Trending at AU $26.99
- AU $18.56Trending at AU $23.86
- AU $16.82Trending at AU $18.80
- AU $62.84Trending at AU $78.06
- AU $78.88Trending at AU $90.48
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $50.32
- AU $21.65Trending at AU $22.65
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.